Solving LCR Circuit: Find C, I_rms, I_rms at Resonance

In summary, the conversation discusses a series LCR circuit with given values for R, L, and a sinusoidal emf. The task is to calculate the capacitance, the rms current, and the rms current at the resonant frequency. The conversation also includes relevant equations and a mistake in the solution for calculating capacitance. It is important to note that the sinusoidal current leads the emf by 54.0 degrees, meaning that the impedance is Z = |Z|ei54π/180.
tomrja

Homework Statement

Consider a series LCR circuit with R= 69.0 Ω and L= 0.100 H, driven by a sinusoidal emf with Erms= 6.70 V at frequency f= 250 Hz. The sinusoidal current leads the emf by 54.0 degrees.

a) Calculate the capacitance C.
b) What is the rms current in the circuit?
c) If the frequency of the emf is changed to the resonant frequency of the circuit, what is the rms current?

Homework Equations

tan(phi)=(WL-(1/WC))/R

Ip= Vp/Z = Vp/sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2)

Irms=IP/sqrt(2)

W=2*pi*f

Wo=1/sqrt(LC) resonant frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved tan(phi)=(WL-(1/WC))/R for C and got C=1/(W(WL-Rtan(phi)) then plugged in all given info to solve for C. It says that the answer is wrong and I am assuming that I plugged in the wrong phi. "The sinusoidal current leads the emf by 54.0 degrees." I don't know what this means. I have not started on the other two parts of the problem because I need to find C first. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

• LRC.gif
    LRC.gif
    803 bytes · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tomrja :smile:
(have a phi: φ)

tomrja said:

tan(phi)=(WL-(1/WC))/R

i didn't read all of your post but the thing i quoted is wrong

[tex]tan\phi = \frac{\frac{1}{wC} - wL}{R}[/tex]

thats because current in capacitor leads voltage by 90 and lags in inductor by 90

and for iRMS use

iRMS = ERMS/Z

hi tomrja! :smile:
tomrja said:
"The sinusoidal current leads the emf by 54.0 degrees." I don't know what this means.

it means that if V = Vmaxsinωt, then I = Imaxsin(ωt + 54°)

in other words, the impedance is Z = |Z|ei54π/180

It appears that you have correctly set up the equation for calculating the capacitance C. However, the given information of the current leading the emf by 54.0 degrees means that the phase angle phi is equal to -54.0 degrees. This is because the current in an LCR circuit with a pure inductor (L) and capacitor (C) will lag behind the emf by 90 degrees, and since the given current is leading the emf, it will have a negative phase angle. Therefore, to solve for C, you would need to use tan(phi) = -(WL - (1/WC))/R. Once you have the correct value for C, you can proceed to solve for the rms current in the circuit and the rms current at resonance using the appropriate equations. Remember to convert the frequency f to angular frequency W using W = 2*pi*f. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations.

What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is an electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L), a capacitor (C), and a resistor (R). These components are connected in either series or parallel and produce a resonant frequency when an alternating current (AC) is applied.

How do you solve for C, Irms, and Irms at resonance in an LCR circuit?

To solve for C, Irms, and Irms at resonance in an LCR circuit, you will need to use the following formulas:
C = 1/((2πf)2 * L)
Irms = Vrms / R
Irms at resonance = Vrms / Xl or Vrms / Xc
where f is the frequency, L is the inductance, R is the resistance, Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

What is resonance in an LCR circuit?

Resonance in an LCR circuit occurs when the inductive reactance (Xl) is equal to the capacitive reactance (Xc). This results in a maximum current flow through the circuit and a minimum impedance.

How does changing the frequency affect an LCR circuit?

Changing the frequency of an AC current in an LCR circuit will cause the reactance of the inductor and capacitor to change. This will ultimately affect the impedance and current flow in the circuit. As the frequency approaches the resonant frequency, the reactances will decrease and the current will increase.

Can an LCR circuit have multiple resonance frequencies?

Yes, an LCR circuit can have multiple resonance frequencies if there are multiple inductors or capacitors in the circuit. This is known as a multi-resonant circuit. Each inductor and capacitor will contribute to the overall resonant frequency of the circuit.