Lumped tire model : bristle deflection

In summary, the paper discusses using a modified brush tire model to calculate the longitudinal and lateral forces on each wheel in a car driving simulation. The model involves calculating the deflection variable of individual bristles, which represent the displacement of the bristles under load. This can be done by solving the equation of motion for the bristle and using numerical integration techniques.
Deams
Hi,
And thank you for your time! :)

I've been studying and coding for more than a month on a physics engine for car driving simulation.
Right now, I'm trying to change the whole tire model currently based on Pacejka for a more advanced one.
After quite a lot of reading on the topic, I decided to give a try at a modified brush tire model.
(for those who can, here is the paper : tandfonline)

My goal is by using predefined parameters and current simulation data to be able to calculate the longitudinal and lateral forces on each wheel.

From what I understand of the paper, this is partly done by considering the lumped state obtained by averaging the deflection variables z(ζ,t) of the bristles composing the surface patch.

Well I'm struggling with this notion of deflection variable. What is it? What does it represent? How to calculate it? This is the kind of questions I've been asking myself for the past 3 days.

If you can help me understand a bit better, thank you in advance. :)

Feel free to ask me for more information if you need it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The deflection variable z(ζ,t) represents the displacement of the individual bristles under the load. The bristles are modeled as linear springs, so the deflection for each bristle can be calculated by solving the equation of motion for the bristle. The equation is a second order differential equation, and can be solved numerically using standard numerical integration techniques. Once the equation of motion is solved, the displacement of the bristle can be calculated. This displacement is the deflection variable that you need to calculate in order to compute the lumped states.

1. What is a lumped tire model?

A lumped tire model is a simplified mathematical representation of a tire's behavior, usually used for computer simulations. It divides the tire into several sections, or "lumps," and uses equations to describe the forces and movements within each lump. This model is useful for studying tire performance and optimizing tire design.

2. How does a lumped tire model account for bristle deflection?

In a lumped tire model, bristle deflection is typically accounted for by including additional "lumps" in the model to represent the bristles. These lumps are connected to the main tire lumps with springs, and the deflection of the bristles is calculated using equations for spring motion. This allows the model to simulate the effect of bristle deflection on tire performance.

3. What factors influence bristle deflection in a lumped tire model?

The main factors that influence bristle deflection in a lumped tire model include the stiffness and geometry of the bristles, the force applied to the tire, and the speed at which the tire is rotating. Additionally, the material properties of the bristles, such as their elasticity and density, can also affect bristle deflection.

4. How accurate is a lumped tire model in predicting bristle deflection?

The accuracy of a lumped tire model in predicting bristle deflection depends on the complexity and level of detail included in the model. Generally, a more detailed and complex model will be more accurate, but also more computationally intensive. Additionally, the accuracy of the model can also be affected by uncertainties in the input parameters and assumptions made in the model.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a lumped tire model for studying bristle deflection?

One advantage of using a lumped tire model for studying bristle deflection is that it provides a simplified and efficient way to simulate tire behavior, making it useful for initial design and optimization work. However, a disadvantage is that it may not capture all of the complex interactions and effects that occur in a real tire, leading to some inaccuracies. Additionally, the model may need to be updated and refined as new data and knowledge about tire behavior and bristle deflection become available.