M2: moments when forces are not perpendicular

In summary, a uniform rod of length 3a and weight 2w is pivoted at A and a light ring slides along it, attached to a light string passing over a fixed peg at a height 4a above A. The string will be at a right angle to the rod in equilibrium, and the angle theta that the rod makes with the vertical is given by tan theta= 4/3. The force of the pivot on the rod A can be found in terms of w using moment equations.
pianogirl

Homework Statement

A smooth uniform rod AB, of length 3a and weight 2w, is pivoted at A so that it can rotate in a vertical plane. A light ring is free to slide along the rod. A light inextensible string is attached to the ring and passes over a fixed smooth peg at a point C, a height 4a above A, and carries a particle of weight w hanging freely.
a) Give reasons why in equilibrium, the string will be at right angles to the rod.
b) show that the angle theta that the rod makes to the vertical in equilibrium is given by tan theta= 4/3
c) Find the magnitude of the force of the pivot on the rod A in terms of w.

Homework Equations

Moment stuff like M= Fd and in equil., total anticlockwise moments= total clockwise moments.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I drew a diagram.
For part b, I tried doing moments around A to get Tension in the string= 2w sin theta.
When I did sohcahtoa, I got tan theta= 4w sin theta/3a.

And basically, I'm confused.
Help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pianogirl! :smile:
pianogirl said:
For part b, I tried doing moments around A to get Tension in the string= 2w sin theta.

How did you get this? :confused: The tension holding the weight w in equilibrium is just w.

Oh yeah! Totally forgot that. Thanks! Will try again!

1. What is M2 in physics?

M2 refers to the concept of moments in physics, specifically moments when forces are not perpendicular.

2. How do you calculate M2?

M2 can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

3. What is the significance of M2 in physics?

M2 is important in understanding the balance of forces and the resulting motion of an object when forces are not applied perpendicular to the object.

4. Can you give an example of M2 in real life?

An example of M2 in real life would be opening a door. The force applied to the door handle is not perpendicular to the door, so the door will rotate around the hinges, causing a moment.

5. How does M2 relate to torque?

M2 and torque are essentially the same concept, with M2 being the specific term used for moments when forces are not perpendicular. Torque is the general term for moments in physics.