Summing Maclaurin Series for x^2

In summary, to find the sum of \sum\frac{x^{2k}}{k!}, you can use the Taylor series of e^x by replacing x with x^2. This will give you the desired sum without the alternating pluses and minuses present in other Taylor series.
JakeD

Homework Statement

How do I find the sum of [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{2k}}{k!}[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried transforming various known Taylor series, such as sin x, e^x, and so on, but they didn't fit for 2 reasons:
1. In all of them, the degree of the factor equals the power of x. i.e. if you have x^2k in the nominator, then you have (2k)! in the denominator, whereas here, you have x^2k in the nominator, while having k! (not (2k!)) in the denominator.

2. In sin x, you have alternating pluses and minuses, while in the required sum, they are all pluses.Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, found the solution.

By replacing x with x^2 in the Taylor series of e^x, I get the desired sum.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of infinite series used in mathematics to represent a function as a sum of polynomials. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin, who developed this concept in the 18th century.

2. How is a Maclaurin series different from a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the polynomial terms are centered at x = 0. This means that the Maclaurin series only uses the values of the function at x = 0 to calculate the coefficients, while a Taylor series can be centered at any point.

3. What is the formula for a Maclaurin series?

The general formula for a Maclaurin series is: f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)/2!)x^2 + (f'''(0)/3!)x^3 + ... + (f^(n)(0)/n!)x^n, where f^(n)(0) represents the nth derivative of the function f(x) evaluated at x = 0.

4. How is a Maclaurin series used in calculus?

Maclaurin series are used in calculus to approximate functions and calculate values that are difficult to find using traditional methods. They are also used to find derivatives and integrals of functions, as well as to study the behavior of functions near the point x = 0.

5. What is the significance of the Maclaurin series?

The Maclaurin series is significant because it allows us to represent a wide variety of functions as a sum of simpler terms, making calculations and approximations easier. It also provides a powerful tool for studying the behavior of functions, as well as for solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.