1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet Wheel

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    Here is a little animation of an idea I have, It's a wheel that spins continuously and is powered by magnets.

Here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBVQBVOJMw

The description of the video will explain my idea.

Please tell if this would work in real life.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

PMM.
    Thread lock imminent.

4. Jul 13, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The animation doesn't show anything about how it is supposed to work, but be advised that magnetic perpetual motion machines occupy an entire class of unworkable devices: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm#cheng

Rest assured, if you choose to pursue designing such devices, you will waste your entire life on the pursuit and never have anything to show for it.

If you like, we can help you understand why such things do not work, but please be advised that we don't support crackpottery here and will not help you attempt to design one and will only allow the discussion to continue if you are honestly trying to learn about why this isn't a good idea. We will not aid in the design of perpetual motion machines.

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Haven't really thought it over, but intuitively I'd say that it would wiggle a bit between two magnets, and then stop.

But even if it works theoretically, you'd have to do with friction and the like, so I doubt it would run for long.

It looks cool for a desktop gadget though (you know, those rings that keep turning, or the bird that keeps sipping fluid).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?