How Does Reversing Current Affect Magnetic Field Directions?

• Thread starter psyclone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, reversing the electric field and magnetic fields will not change the direction of the force on the particles.
psyclone

Homework Statement

Please refer to attachment for solution.

Can you help with the following (please refer to attached). If I understand the problem, both magnetic fields B1 & B2 need to change direction, due to the change in current (I) by replacing the positive with a negative ion.

Your thoughts,

Homework Equations

Right hand rule for Current, Magnetic Field, Force.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to attached for solution.

Attachments

• hwork-phys.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ps,

I understand your reasoning for ##\vec B_2##.

Then it becomes confusing: Either you change the sign of I or you change the direction; not both.
And just changing "the sign of the current" (i.e. the charge of the ions) does not change the direction of ##\vec B_1## !
And I also don't see how changing only the "the sign of the current" (i.e. the charge of the ions) does not change the direction of ##\vec F_E##.

You also want to keep in mind what the function of ##\vec E## and ##\vec B_1## is: together they act as a velocity selector: particles with a certain ##|v|## experience no force whatsoever and pass straight through S3.

Perhaps you'll do well to base your thinking on the expression for the Lorentz force $$
\vec F = q\;(\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B)
$$which is very, very fundamental, instead of on all these derived equations that require memorizing and can become confusing (as happens here). Two threads: here and here , might help (in all modesty... ahem :rolleyes:).

So what your saying, If the cross product of v & B is equivalent to a force. Then the electric field must be reversed, when a negative ion is introduced, to have zero net forces acting on the ion. please find attached.

Attachments

• hwork-phys(rev).pdf
    648.1 KB · Views: 242
No! :nb)

v is the actual velocity of the particles (the time derivative of the position). No sign confusion because of charge possible (that is sitting in the q).If the force has to be zero for a certain v so that these particles go straight through S3, and the force is ##
\vec F = q\;(\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B)
## for a charge q, then what is the force for a charge -q ?

Your last sentence is weird: both E and B2 ? We are discussing E and B1 !

We already concluded B2 must be reversed.

Last edited:
B2 needs to be reversed I agree. And we are discussing E and B1, but I was referring to all the fields that needed to be changed, mentioned in the question.

The maker of the exercise took care to not include an answer where all three are reversed (something many ignorant folks would pick without much thought) ; that way the exercise has a bit more selective power :)

Is it now really clear to you that reversing bot E and B1 isn't necessary, even though it will work all right ?

view attachment :mad:

Attachments

• hwork-phys(rev 2).pdf
    777.1 KB · Views: 198
Pictures look splendid. Accompanying text: ? ? (if it's adjusted for a positive particle with speed v, then it will also let through a negative particle with the same speed v).

1. What is the Right-Hand Rule (RHR)?

The Right-Hand Rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of the magnetic or electric field generated by a current-carrying wire or a moving charged particle.

2. How do I use the RHR to determine the direction of a magnetic field?

To use the RHR for a magnetic field, hold your right hand with your thumb pointed in the direction of the current, and your fingers curled in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the RHR be used for electric fields as well?

Yes, the RHR can also be used to determine the direction of an electric field. Simply replace the direction of the current with the direction of the electric field. The thumb still points in the direction of the field, and the fingers curl in the direction of the current.

4. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can even be thought of as two sides of the same coin. A changing electric field can induce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric field.

5. Are there any variations of the RHR?

Yes, there are variations of the RHR depending on the specific scenario. For example, the RHR for a solenoid (a coil of wire) is slightly different, with the fingers pointing in the direction of the current and the thumb pointing in the direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid.