Magnetic field and coplanar loops

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and magnitude of current flow in an outer loop and a smaller inner loop within it, and the use of Faraday's law to calculate the EMF and resistance. There is also mention of an algebraic proof to determine the current in the outer loop.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

two loops.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The current in the inner loop should flow in anticlockwise direction so as to resist the increase in flux of the external magnetic field .

But how do I deal with the outer loop since there is smaller loop inside it ?

I think current should flow in anticlockwise direction in the outer loop as well .

But none of the options have current flowing in same direction in both inner and outer loops . Also , how do I determine the magnitude of the two currents ?

Attachments

• two loops.jpg
    two loops.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 953
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem mentions "a coplanar loop", yet you mention an inner and an outer loop. Is there one rectangular loop of some finite width or two very thin wire loops? Assuming the latter, as you seem to be doing, is the magnetic flux through the outer loop going to be the same with and without the inner loop in place?

kuruman said:
Assuming the latter, as you seem to be doing, is the magnetic flux through the outer loop going to be the same with and without the inner loop in place?

I think , yes .

But this is exactly the confusion . What will be the area used while calculating induced EMF in the outer loop ? Is it the area of the outer loop as if the inner loop doesn't exist OR is it the area enclosed by the outer loop minus area enclosed by inner loop ?

Jahnavi said:
The current in the inner loop should flow in anticlockwise direction so as to resist the increase in flux of the external magnetic field .
But how do I deal with the outer loop since there is smaller loop inside it ?
Why should it make any difference? (We always assume the self-induced B field is << the externally applied field.)
I think current should flow in anticlockwise direction in the outer loop as well .
Good thought.
But none of the options have current flowing in same direction in both inner and outer loops.
3 of the 4 options are likely wrong, don't you think?
Also, how do I determine the magnitude of the two currents ?
Try applying faraday?

Likes Jahnavi
rude man said:
Try applying faraday?

While applying Faraday in the outer loop , what area should I use , area of the outer loop OR area of the outer loop minus area of the inner loop ?

@Charles Link , @cnh1995

The area of the outer loop is used to compite the EMF in the outer loop. The resulting currents in the loops are assumed to be small enough that their magnetic fields do not affect the magnetic field appreciably. Additional hint: The current is going to be equal to the EMF divided by the resistance, with the resistance proportional to the length of the loop of wire.

Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
While applying Faraday in the outer loop , what area should I use , area of the outer loop OR area of the outer loop minus area of the inner loop ?
@Charles Link , @cnh1995
Does the inner loop detract from the flux in the outer loop?

This one needs one additional part to really determine it conclusively: Is ## \frac{xy}{2 (x+y)}>\frac{uv}{2(u+v)} ##, if ## x>u ## and ## y>v ##? (Basically dividing the area (EMF) by the perimeter (resistance). The ratio is proportional to the current). I believe I succeeded in doing an algebraic proof of this result.(##x,y,u,v ## are all >0). ## \\ ## @Jahnavi You might want to prove this yourself to show ## I_2>I_1 ##. ## \\ ## The proof involves one trick, and the rest follows very quickly: ## \\ ## In the inequality above, divide the numerator and denominator on the left side by ## xy ## , and divide the numerator and denominator on the right side by ## uv ## . (The 2's can be canceled to make things simpler). Then analyze the result algebraically.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
This one needs one additional part to really determine it conclusively: Is ## \frac{xy}{2 (x+y)}>\frac{uv}{2(u+v)} ##, if ## x>u ## and ## y>v ##? (Basically dividing the area (EMF) by the perimeter (resistance). The ratio is proportional to the current). I believe I succeeded in doing an algebraic proof of this result.(##x,y,u,v ## are all >0). ## \\ ## @Jahnavi You might want to prove this yourself to show ## I_2>I_1 ##. ## \\ ## The proof involves one trick, and the rest follows very quickly: ## \\ ## In the inequality above, divide the numerator and denominator on the left side by ## xy ## , and divide the numerator and denominator on the right side by ## uv ## . (The 2's can be canceled to make things simpler). Then analyze the result algebraically.
I assumed the loops were square in which case it is very easlily proved that I2 > I1. But, good point.

Likes Charles Link
rude man said:
I assumed the loops were square in which case it is very easlily proved that I2 > I1. But, good point.
It may be worthwhile showing the rest of this proof: ## \frac{xy}{2(x+y)}>\frac{uv}{2(u+v)} ## is (with the divisions as previously mentioned) equivalent to ## \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}}>\frac{1}{\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1}{v}} ##. ## \\ ## A little more algebra gives that this is equivalent to ## \frac{1}{u}+\frac{1}{v}>\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y} ##. ## \\ ## The result is ##( \frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{x} )+(\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{y})>0 ## implies that the original equality holds. And this is indeed the case for ## x>u ## and ## y>v ##.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles and can be either static or dynamic.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, in a specific direction. This movement can be caused by an electric current or the spin of an electron.

3. What is the role of a coplanar loop in a magnetic field?

A coplanar loop is a type of circuit that consists of multiple loops of wire arranged in the same plane. It is used to create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the loop, making it useful for studying the properties and behavior of magnetic fields.

4. How does a coplanar loop interact with a magnetic field?

A coplanar loop will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field, due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the loop. The strength and direction of this force depends on the direction and magnitude of the current, as well as the orientation and strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of coplanar loops and magnetic fields?

Coplanar loops and magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications. They are used in devices such as motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They also play a crucial role in understanding the Earth's magnetic field and studying the properties of other planets and celestial bodies.