Magnetic field at the center of 3 wires carrying current?

In summary: A##. So, effectively you have to consider these two things which are about the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic field at point ##O## respectively.Ok. So the magnetic field at O due to wire A is ## B_{A} = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{r} = \frac{\mu_{0}10A}{0.3m} = 3.3 \times 10^{-5} T##And the magnetic field at O due to wires B and C is ## B_{B+C} = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{r} = \frac{\mu_{0}10A}{
That is correct. Very good. I think I also see where your book (answer of 18.4 T from your post 33) went wrong. Take their answer and multiply it by ## \mu_o=4 \pi \cdot 10^{-7} ## and I think you get the correct answer. Once again, very good ! :) :) ## \\ ## Edit: And don't forget to specify the direction which is "to the left".

Last edited:
Likes Helly123
Physics news on Phys.org
It's amusing that nobody uses vector algebra to solve this problem once and for all but instead long winded texts. This is like in the time back when Newton in his Principia didn't reveal the public how he used his own invention, now called calculus, to present his results but pretty cumbersome geometrical constructions, which are of course ingenious but nearly incomprehensible to us today without a very detailed study of the geometrical methodology used. The reason for the use of modern vector algebra and vector calculus today (btw. thanks to Heaviside and Gibbs who developed the modern methods independently at the end of the 19th century). So I just repeat, what I wrote in the private conservation, also here in the public forum:I don't understand physics in written words well. I've no clue what is claimed by both of you. So let's calculate the magnetic field (in SI units ;-))

Each current ##I## going in positive ##z## direction produces a field
$$\vec{B}(\vec{r})=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi [(x-x_0)^2+(y-y_0)^2]}\begin{pmatrix} -(y-y_0) \\ x-x_0,0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
I've assumed an infinitely long wire here.

Working out the three vectors for the points wire and adding the three vectors gives me
$$\vec{B}(\vec{r}=0)=(-2.31 \cdot 10^{-5},0,0) \text{T}.$$

For the details see the pdf of my Mathematica notebook, I've used for the calculation

Attachments

• currents-infinite-wires-equilateral-triangle.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 202
Likes Helly123, QuantumQuest and Charles Link
I for one am not familiar with the method you used. Is it quicker than the method of finding the value of B at O for each wire separately and then adding the three values vectorially?

That's the way I did it! It basically uses Biot-Savart for each single wire and then I add up the contributions by the three wires. What's unclear with the calculation (maybe it's the uncommented Mathematica notebook)?

I get the impression that your method is more plug and chug and probably more efficient. My preference here is to go a bit more back to first principles and sketch things out. I found that when I did a quick sketch of the vectors the answer was easy to see. However Biot and Savart and plug and chug was still necessary. I also find that it's helpful to get a more detailed visual representation of the problem. To me it becomes more obvious and you can see extra details, for example you can see straight away that if the three currents flowed in the same direction, point O would be a neutral point.

Then I'd draw circles around the wires (in the figure in the first posting of this thread) and then put the corresponding tangent vectors, pointing in the direction of the magnetic fields from each of the wires. In this case the magnitudes of all three fields are the same. So all vectors are of the same length. The total field is of course the vector sum, which you can also geometrically construct from this drawing. It's a lot more of work than the algebraic method, but it also helps to visualize the field.

Likes Helly123 and Dadface
Charles Link said:
That is correct. Very good. I think I also see where your book (answer of 18.4 T from your post 33) went wrong. Take their answer and multiply it by ## \mu_o=4 \pi \cdot 10^{-7} ## and I think you get the correct answer. Once again, very good ! :) :) ## \\ ## Edit: And don't forget to specify the direction which is "to the left".
Thank you. 18.4 T times 4##\pi . 10^{-7}## = 73.6 T to the left

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
This one does, I think, have a simple solution: If you write the current at A as one unit of current out of, and two units of current into the paper, the magnetic field vectors from the one unit of current out of the paper from all 3 vertices will cancel in the center, with the result that you only need to consider the problem as two units of current into the paper at A. ## \\ ## The alternative is to carefully sum the components of all 3 vectors. ## \\ ## Editing: But looking closer at it, you already solved it in the OP, but incorrectly applied the law of cosines. If you look at your vector diagram ## B_{B+C}=B_{magnetic \, field} ##, without the factor of ## \sqrt{3} ##, so that adding ## B_A ## gives you ## B_{total}=2 B_{magnetic \, field} ## to the left , which is what the simple method I mentioned in the first sentence gives you. You essentially solved this in the OP. ## \\ ##(You also made an error though in your calculation of ## r ## in the OP, as @QuantumQuest pointed out).
Since B for bc is B . It means the cosinus law is B^2 + C^2 - 2BC cos60 ?
Resultating in B.
So B total is B_bc + B_a = 2B to the left

Likes Charles Link
Helly123 said:
Since B for bc is B . It means the cosinus law is B^2 + C^2 - 2BC cos60 ?
Resultating in B.
So B total is B_bc + B_a = 2B to the left
That is correct. :)

Likes Helly123
Charles Link said:
That is correct. :)
Ok thanks

Likes Charles Link