Magnetic Field & Electron Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a homemade cyclotron using a household circuit and a circular loop of wire. The length of wire needed to limit the current to 15A is 812.9m, and the maximum magnetic field created is 49mT with 517 loops of wire. The question then moves on to determining the speed of electrons in the cyclotron and the potential difference required to generate that speed, with a discrepancy in the calculated speed being addressed.
baileya

Homework Statement

You have decided to make a home made cyclotron (particle accelerator). You decide to use a household circuit use a 120V, 15 Amp circuit. If 14-gauge copper wire has a resistance per unit length of 3 ohm per 1000ft, what length of wire is required to limit the current to 15A?

Next, your "cyclotron" needs to have a region of constant magnetic field. To create this, you choose to wrap the wire in a circular loop of radius 0.5-m. What is the maximum magnetic field you can create? (you need to figure out the number of loops!)

Finally you inject the electrons into your cyclotron. What is the speed of the electrons if they move in a radius of 0.25-m? If the electrons started from rest, what potential difference is required to generate that speed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright... so I figured out the first parts of the question (812.9 m wire length and magnetic field of 49mT for the r=.5 m wire) but when I tried to determine the electron speed I got a number that's greater than the speed of light.
I determined that the circumference is 1.57 m, which allows for 517 loops of wire. Then using B=(4pi x 10^-7)NI/2r I got that the magnetic field is 1.9 x 10^-2
This means that using v=rqB/m where r=.25m, q=1.6 x 10^-19, B=1.9 x 10^-2, and m=9 x 10^-31)
I got that the speed of the electron is 8.4 x 10^8 m/s
This is way too fast I'm assuming, so can somebody tell me where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you find the length?

Related to Magnetic Field & Electron Speed

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity. It can also be created by moving electric charges, such as electrons.

How is a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units called tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the properties of the medium through which the field is passing. It is also affected by the direction and orientation of the field.

What is the relationship between magnetic field and electron speed?

The strength of a magnetic field can affect the speed and direction of moving charged particles, such as electrons. This is because charged particles experience a force when they move through a magnetic field, causing them to curve or spiral in their path.

How do magnetic fields impact everyday life?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in many aspects of modern life. They are used in technologies such as electric motors, generators, MRI machines, credit cards, and compasses. Earth's magnetic field also protects us from harmful solar radiation and helps animals navigate.