1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field from four parallel wires

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I am looking at four parallel wires of finite length L, whose currents run in the directions shown in the attached figure. There is no gradient along the wire-axis, so from Maxwell's equation
    [tex]
    \frac{dB_x}{dx} = -\frac{dB_y}{dy} \equiv \tilde B.
    [/tex]
    In order to find an expression for the gradient [itex]\tilde B[/itex] given some current I, I need to use Biot-Savarts law. I think I need to make a binomial expansion for small displacements from the center, but I am not quite sure how to do this with the Biot-Savart law. I would really appreciate a hint.

Best,
    Niles.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2
    Or you could simply superimpose 4 fields from the individual wires. I would imagine you've already solved the field for a single wire, so B=B1+B2+B3+B4. Remember, the wires aren't all in the same direction, so you have to add some and subtract others.

Once you've resolved all your issues https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=645327, you should be able to write everything in terms of the x and y components of the 4 wires.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook