Magnetic field lines in a ring magnet

In summary, a hollow cylindrical ring magnet will be magnetized with magnetic field lines running inside the cylinder clockwise or anticlockwise.
Himanshu_6174
Say if I magnetize a hollow cylindrical ring magnet by placing a staight current carrying wire along its axis. It will be magnetized with magnetic field lines running inside the cylinder clockwise or anticlockwise! So there will be no magnetic field lines outside the iron body? If I have a cylindrical hollow magnet or a magnet made by attaching two horse shoe magnets with magnetic field lines running along its length then, will there be any magnetic field lines outside the magnet? I think there will be because iron particles placed outside will get attracted to it. But how will these lines look?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take a round bar magnet and drill a hole thru the axis of nort to south. It will still behave like a bar magnet but it's geometry is like a cylinder. The magnetic field lines circle around in north south plane it and through the drilled hole too.

http://www.davidpace.com/images/stories/em/em2im5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
here, the domain run in circular fashion within the body. How will the magnetic field lines look?

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,770
200px-VFPt_dipole_magnetic3.svg.png

This is the only orientation I have seen. If you stretch the ring into a tube the field lines would stretch into ovals across the length radiating around the circumference of the tube.

jerromyjon said:
200px-vfpt_dipole_magnetic3-svg-png.75929.png
This is somewhat off-topic, but I have to mention it. I've never seen that particular field pattern before. It reminds me so much of a spider that I'm inspired to seek out other physics phenomena that have secondary associations and make an art project of it.

Himanshu: The field around the wire is a Biot-Savart field and the ring will be magnetized with this field orientation. However, the Biot-Savart field extends to infinity so there will be a weak field outside of your magnet with the same orientation. The field is weak because of the high reluctance of air as compared to the iron ring.

1. What is a magnetic field line?

A magnetic field line is an imaginary line that represents the direction and strength of a magnetic field. It is used to visualize the magnetic field and its behavior.

2. How are magnetic field lines formed in a ring magnet?

In a ring magnet, the magnetic field lines are formed due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within the magnet. These domains have tiny magnetic fields that add up to create a stronger magnetic field along the axis of the ring.

3. What is the direction of magnetic field lines in a ring magnet?

The direction of magnetic field lines in a ring magnet is from the north pole to the south pole. This means that the field lines will emerge from the north pole and curve around to enter the south pole.

4. How do the magnetic field lines behave near the poles of a ring magnet?

Near the poles of a ring magnet, the magnetic field lines are closer together, indicating a stronger magnetic field. They also curve more sharply towards the poles, making the field stronger in that region.

5. Can the magnetic field lines in a ring magnet be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, the magnetic field lines in a ring magnet can be affected by external magnetic fields. If a stronger magnetic field is brought close to the ring magnet, the field lines will shift to align with the new field, affecting the overall magnetic field of the ring magnet.