1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of a bent wire

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A straight wire carrying current I goes down the positive y-axis ( I is also in this direction) from infinite y to the origin. At the origin it changes direction 90 degrees and goes along positive x to infinity. Find B at (0,0,z).
    I'm given that
    ##\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{1}{z^2}##

2. Relevant equations
    dB = ##\frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{dl sin(\theta)}{r^2}##
    This has been simplified from the Biot Savart law by subbing in unit vector r = r/r, and taking the magnitude of the cross product. ##\theta## is the angle between dl and r.
    3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble working out the direction. I split the wire into two segments, calculating B for the segment on the y axis first, then for the segment on the x axis, then adding them.
    For segment along y axis:
    dl is -dy (or is it just dy?), sin(##\theta##) = ##\frac{z}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}## and r = ##\sqrt{y^2+z^2}##:
    dB = ##- \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{z dy}{(y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##
    = ##- \frac{\mu_0 I z}{4 \pi} \frac{dy}{(y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##
    Integrate dB between 0 and infinity using the given result for the integral:

B = ##- \frac{\mu_0 I }{4 \pi} \frac{1}{z}##
    Happy with the magnitude, half that of an infinite wire as expected.

Ignoring the other segment for now, what do I do about the direction?? From the right hand rule, it's in the -x direction, but if I multiply by the negative unit vector in x then the negatives cancel, and it's actually in the positive x direction, which is wrong! Isn't it?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2
    You are right about the field direction being in the - x direction. Your mistake is in taking the negative sign at the end of your integration seriously. When you write the magnitude of a cross product;

C = AB sinθ, that is the magnitude. It is always positive. The direction of the vector is completely determined by the right hand rule.

What you should say is:
    Even though the integral gave you a negative sign, we want only the magnitude of B from that integration. The direction is determined to be - x from the right hand rule

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3
    Brilliant, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted