Magnetic field of a bent wire and Biot Savart law

In summary, a straight wire carrying current I goes along the positive y-axis from infinite y to the origin, where it changes direction and goes along the positive x-axis to infinity. The goal is to find the magnetic field at the point (0,0,z). The given equation for the integral is used to simplify the Biot Savart law, and the angle between dl and r is taken to be theta. The wire is split into two segments, and the magnetic field for each segment is calculated and added together. The resulting magnitude is half of that of an infinite wire. The direction of the magnetic field is in the -x direction, determined by the right hand rule. The negative sign in the integration is ignored, as it only affects
whatisreality

Homework Statement

A straight wire carrying current I goes down the positive y-axis ( I is also in this direction) from infinite y to the origin. At the origin it changes direction 90 degrees and goes along positive x to infinity. Find B at (0,0,z).
I'm given that
##\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{1}{z^2}##

Homework Equations

dB = ##\frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{dl sin(\theta)}{r^2}##
This has been simplified from the Biot Savart law by subbing in unit vector r = r/r, and taking the magnitude of the cross product. ##\theta## is the angle between dl and r.
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble working out the direction. I split the wire into two segments, calculating B for the segment on the y-axis first, then for the segment on the x axis, then adding them.
For segment along y axis:
dl is -dy (or is it just dy?), sin(##\theta##) = ##\frac{z}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}## and r = ##\sqrt{y^2+z^2}##:
dB = ##- \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{z dy}{(y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##
= ##- \frac{\mu_0 I z}{4 \pi} \frac{dy}{(y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##
Integrate dB between 0 and infinity using the given result for the integral:

B = ##- \frac{\mu_0 I }{4 \pi} \frac{1}{z}##
Happy with the magnitude, half that of an infinite wire as expected.

Ignoring the other segment for now, what do I do about the direction?? From the right hand rule, it's in the -x direction, but if I multiply by the negative unit vector in x then the negatives cancel, and it's actually in the positive x direction, which is wrong! Isn't it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about the field direction being in the - x direction. Your mistake is in taking the negative sign at the end of your integration seriously. When you write the magnitude of a cross product;

C = AB sinθ, that is the magnitude. It is always positive. The direction of the vector is completely determined by the right hand rule.

What you should say is:
Even though the integral gave you a negative sign, we want only the magnitude of B from that integration. The direction is determined to be - x from the right hand rule

Likes whatisreality
Brilliant, thanks!

1. How does a bent wire affect the magnetic field?

When a wire is bent, the shape of its magnetic field changes. The magnetic field lines become curved and closer together near the bend, increasing the strength of the field in that region. This is because the current in the wire changes direction at the bend, causing a change in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

2. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

3. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a bent wire using the Biot-Savart law?

To calculate the magnetic field of a bent wire using the Biot-Savart law, you need to know the current in the wire, the length of the wire, and the distance from the point of interest to the wire. You also need to know the angle between the wire and the point. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the Biot-Savart law equation and solve for the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field of a bent wire?

The direction of the current in a bent wire has a significant impact on the magnetic field. If the current is flowing in the same direction along the entire length of the wire, the magnetic field will be stronger near the bend. However, if the current is flowing in opposite directions on either side of the bend, the magnetic field will be weaker near the bend.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the magnetic field of a bent wire using the Biot-Savart law?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the magnetic field of a bent wire using the Biot-Savart law. These include the accuracy of the measurements of current, wire length, and distance from the point of interest to the wire. The angle between the wire and the point must also be measured accurately. Additionally, any external magnetic fields or other sources of electromagnetic interference can affect the accuracy of the calculation.