Magnetic Field of a Finite Solenoid

In summary, the magnetic field at the center of a coil of wire with N turns, a radius of r, and a current I running through it can be found using the equation B=(μ0I)/(2r). This differs from the equation B=(μ0I)/(2πr) which applies to a long solenoid. This is because the coil of wire is not a long solenoid and requires a more complex calculation.
bmbuncher
Homework Statement
Find the magnetic field generated at the center of a coil of wire with N turns, a radius of r, and a current I running through it
Relevant equations
B=μ0nI, where n=N/L (L is the total length of the coil)
The attempt at a solution
B=μ0nI
B=μ0I(N/L)
L=2πrN
B=(μ0NI)/(2πrN)
B=(μ0I)/(2πr)

However, the correct answer is:
B=(μ0I)/(2r)

Why is this? Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have given I believe only applies to a "long" solenoid. This is a good approximation as you can see, but it isn't enough. Consider how we would find the magnetic field at the center of ring? Now consider how we would find the find at the center of a collection of rings. Is the answer the same? Should it be the same?

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a cylindrical shape. It is commonly used in electronic devices and as an electromagnet.

How does a solenoid produce a magnetic field?

As an electric current passes through the wire in a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. The direction of the magnetic field depends on the direction of the current and the number of turns in the coil.

What is the magnetic field of a finite solenoid?

The magnetic field of a finite solenoid is the magnetic field produced by the solenoid at a point outside of the solenoid. It is affected by factors such as the current, number of turns, and length of the solenoid.

How is the magnetic field of a finite solenoid calculated?

The magnetic field of a finite solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

What is the significance of a finite solenoid's length in its magnetic field?

The length of a finite solenoid affects its magnetic field because the longer the solenoid, the more turns of wire there are and the stronger the magnetic field will be. However, the magnetic field will eventually reach a maximum and will not continue to increase as the length of the solenoid increases.