What is the magnetic field at the center of a rotating charged disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating disk of dielectric material with a uniformly distributed charge. The goal is to find the magnetic field at the center of the disk. The conversation includes equations and steps to solve the problem, ultimately concluding that the magnetic field is equal to uNQ/a.
discoverer02
I'm not quite getting the following problem:

A thin disk of dielectric material, having a total charge +Q uniformly distributed over its surface, and having radius a, rotates n times per second about an axis through the center of the disk and perpendicular to the disk.

Show that the magnetic field produced at the center of the disk is unQ/a.

I know that B at the center of a wire ring is uI/2r. If I start here then dB = udI/(2dr).

I = dq/dt. In this case I = nQ/sec, so can the equation become
db = undQ/(2dr)? I'm sure this isn't right but here goes.

Q/(pi)a^2 = dq/2(pi)rdr so dq = 2Qrdr/a^2 ?

If I plug this into my equation the dr's cancel, so I must be doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by discoverer02
I = dq/dt. In this case I = nQ/sec, so can the equation become
db = undQ/(2dr)? I'm sure this isn't right but here goes.
Hint: Find the current for a rotating ring of charge of width dr. (Find the charge per unit area; from that find the charge in each ring.)

Actually, your original equations don't quite make sense:
dB= μdI/(2dr)has a differential on one side and a derivative on the other. Also, I don't believe I= dq/dt= nQ/sec. Since the disk is rotating at n revolutions per second, it is rotating at 2πn radians per second and a piece at distance r (linear units) from the center is moving at 2πnr linear units per second. A thin ring, distance r from the center and width dr would have area 2πrdr and so charge (2πrdr)(Q/(&pia2)= 2rQdr/a2.
I= dq/dt= 2πnr(2rQdr/a2)= (4πQnr2/a2)dr.
That makes dB= μI/(2r)= 2πμQnr/a2 (this is "dB" because it is a small part of the whole magnetic field due to a small part of the entire radius. To find B, integrat from r= 0 to r= a.

OK, let's see if this works.

Doc Al, didn't I already kind of work out your hint.

Charge per unit area for the whole disk is Q/(pia^2).
The ring's charge per unit aread would be dQ/2pirdr.

Therefore dQ = 2Qrdr/(a^2).

Since every second ndQ charges flow through what could be considered a cross sectional area, can I substitute ndQ for I?

If I can then dB = nu2Qrdr/(2ra^2) = nuQdr/a^2.

If I integrate this from 0 to a, I get the correct answer:
uNQ/a.

But is the math and reasoning OK or did I force something that I shouldn't have.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by discoverer02
OK, let's see if this works.

Doc Al, didn't I already kind of work out your hint.
I wasn't clear what you were doing the first time.
Charge per unit area for the whole disk is Q/(pia^2).
The ring's charge per unit aread would be dQ/2pirdr.
Therefore dQ = 2Qrdr/(a^2).
Good.
Since every second ndQ charges flow through what could be considered a cross sectional area, can I substitute ndQ for I?

If I can then dB = nu2Qrdr/(2ra^2) = nuQdr/a^2.
Much better this time! (No "dr" in the denominator.)
If I integrate this from 0 to a, I get the correct answer:
uNQ/a.

But is the math and reasoning OK or did I force something that I shouldn't have.
Looks perfect to me!
(edited to remove confusing comment.)

Last edited:

Related to What is the magnetic field at the center of a rotating charged disk?

1. What is the magnetic field of a thin disk?

The magnetic field of a thin disk is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force at any point on or around the disk. It is typically represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of teslas (T).

2. How is the magnetic field of a thin disk calculated?

The magnetic field of a thin disk can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 N/A^2), I is the current flowing through the disk, and R is the distance from the center of the disk to the point where the field is being measured. This formula is known as Ampere's law.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of a thin disk?

The strength of the magnetic field of a thin disk is affected by the amount of current flowing through the disk, the distance from the center of the disk, and the permeability of the material surrounding the disk. Additionally, the shape and size of the disk can also impact the strength of the field.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a thin disk?

The direction of the magnetic field around a thin disk is perpendicular to the plane of the disk. This means that the field lines will form circles around the disk, with the direction of the field at any point determined by the right-hand rule.

5. How is the magnetic field of a thin disk used in practical applications?

The magnetic field of a thin disk is used in many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators, magnetic storage devices like hard drives, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI. It is also used in research and experimentation to study the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.