Magnetic field on the axis along the plane of loop

In summary: L >> R means that at some stage it'll be ok to ignore the y components :wink:)tiny-tim, I tried to work out the problem myself out of curiosity. I know that usually, the z component is all that is asked.
wytang

Homework Statement

A circular loop in the XY plane of radius R and with current I moving in the counterclockwise direction. Compute B at (L,0,0) for L >> R0.

Homework Equations

Biot–Savart law
dB= μ0I/4∏ *(dl X r)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the B on the axis perpendicular to the plane of loop is μ0IR^2/ [2*(z^2/+R^2)^(3/2)].
But I don't know how to solve the problem when it is on the axis of the plane of loop. Thanks for any helps

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi wytang! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
wytang said:
dB= μ0I/4∏ *(dl X r)/r2

But I don't know how to solve the problem when it is on the axis of the plane of loop.

set up the integral of the biot-savart law, integrating wrt θ …

what do you get? :smile:

(L >> R means that at some stage it'll be ok to ignore the y components :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
hi wytang! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

set up the integral of the biot-savart law, integrating wrt θ …

what do you get? :smile:

(L >> R means that at some stage it'll be ok to ignore the y components :wink:)

tiny-tim, I tried to work out the problem myself out of curiosity. I know that usually, the z component is all that is asked.

I may be wrong, but it seems that the only thing to change was the denominator. I found that dB = μ0I/4∏ *(dl X r)/r^2 = μ0I/4∏ *(dl)r^2, and the x component of dB is μ0I/4∏ *(dl * R)/r^2 where R is the radius of the loop and r is the distance from it (the original poster uses L).

So then is seems that r = (R^2 + (r + R)^2). Integration of dl gives us 2piR. So the final answer that I have is μIR^2/2((r+R)^2 + R^2)^3/2). Is this work correct, or am I missing something?

1. What is a magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop?

A magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop refers to the magnetic field that is generated by a current-carrying loop of wire when viewed from a point along its central axis and in the same plane as the loop. It is perpendicular to the plane of the loop and its strength varies depending on the distance from the loop.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined for this type of loop?

The direction of the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the loop, then the direction of the magnetic field will be in the direction that your fingers curl.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop?

The strength of the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the number of loops in the wire, and the distance from the loop. The strength also depends on the shape and size of the loop, as well as any magnetic materials that may be present.

4. How does the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop contribute to electromagnetic induction?

The changing magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor, as described by Faraday's law of induction. This phenomenon is the basis for many electrical devices such as generators and transformers.

5. Can the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field on the axis along the plane of a loop can be manipulated or controlled by changing the current in the loop, changing the number of loops, or using magnetic materials to enhance or deflect the field. This is important in various applications such as motors, speakers, and MRI machines.