What is the total force on a semicircular wire in a uniform magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total force on a thin wire carrying a constant current and lying in a semicircular curve in a uniform magnetic field. The solution involves using the cross product formula to find the magnitude of the force, taking into consideration the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. The conversation also mentions using lecture notes and setting up an integral to solve the problem.
bakin

Homework Statement

A very thin wire, which follows a semicircular curve C of radius R, lies in the upper half of the x-y plane with its center at the origin. There is a constant current I flowing counter clockwise, starting upward from the end of the wire on the positive x-axis and ending downward at the end on the negative x axis. The wire is in a uniform magnetic field, which has magnitude Bo and direction parallel to the z axis in the positive z direction. Determine a symbolic answer in unit vector notation for the total force on the wire due to the magnetic field. Ignore the forces on the leads that carry the current into the wire at the right end and out of the wire at the left end.

Solution check: The numerical value with I = 2.00A, Bo = 3.00T, and R = 4.00m is 48.0j N.

Homework Equations

dFb= i dLxB

The Attempt at a Solution

Because it's curved, I don't think you can use Fb = iLBsin. Instead, the cross product version above has to be used. I read some lecture notes here: http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/courses/phy114/ppt/Ch29-Magnetic_Fields.ppt
And it says that you can just take the length from one endpoint to the other, and use that as your dL. Using that works, because (2)(3)(2x4) = 48, but I don't understand why. Can anybody help clarify? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bakin said:
Because it's curved, I don't think you can use Fb = iLBsin. Instead, the cross product version above has to be used.
The magnitude of the cross product i dL X B = i dL B sinθ. (What's θ?)
I read some lecture notes here: http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/courses/phy114/ppt/Ch29-Magnetic_Fields.ppt
And it says that you can just take the length from one endpoint to the other, and use that as your dL.
Where does it say that? Set up the integral of dF over the length of the semicircle. (It's an easy integral.) Which way does dF point at each position along the arc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
The magnitude of the cross product i dL X B = i dL B sinθ. (What's θ?)

Where does it say that? Set up the integral of dF over the length of the semicircle. (It's an easy integral.) Which way does dF point at each position along the arc?

Soooo helpful. I was able to figure it out after thinking about your questions a little bit. Thanks for helping me understand!

Excellent. (Glad it helped.)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be detected. It is represented by invisible lines of magnetic force that run from the north pole of a magnet to the south pole.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, which generate a magnetic force. This can occur naturally, as in the case of Earth's magnetic field, or artificially through the use of magnets or electric currents.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has both strength and direction. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla or gauss, and the direction of the field is indicated by the orientation of the magnetic field lines.

4. What are the applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications including in technology, medicine, and industry. They are used in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic data storage devices, among others.

5. How can I protect myself from magnetic fields?

In most cases, the magnetic fields encountered in everyday life are not harmful to humans. However, those who work regularly with powerful magnets may need to take precautions to avoid potential health risks. This can include wearing protective gear and maintaining a safe distance from the magnet.