Magnetic field strength quick question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field strength at two different points in the plane of two parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions. The formula H = I/2*pi*R is used, where H is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and R is the distance from the wire. In part (i), the fields add in the middle of the wires. In part (ii), the fields have opposite directions because the point is on the same side as both wires. The "thumb rule" is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field generated by a wire.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

Two very long parallel wires which are 20cm apart ,carry currents of 1.5A and 2.0A respectively, flowing in opposite directions. Calculate the magnetic field strength at following points in plane of two wires
(i) midway between wires
(ii)at a point 10cm from the wire carrying the larger current and 30 cm from the other wire

Homework Equations

I have been using the formula H = I/2*pi*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i could do part (i) as I knew that the magnetic field strengths add in the middle so i just plugged into the formula using R=0.1 and got an answer of
5.6 A m^-1

However in part (ii) I am slightly confused.
I have said the following:
H = 1.5/2*pi*.3 + 2.0/2*pi*0.1
Is this equation correct or should i be subtracting one magnetic field strength
from the other.andif so which one?i don't really understand
any help or tips would be v much appreciated thanks:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
The fields aren't going in the same direction. Do you know how to find the direction of the field generated by a wire (the "thumb rule") ? You put your thumb of your right hand in the direction of the wire and the direction that your fingers are curling is the direction of the field. In the middle of the wire the fields go in the same direction even though the currents are in opposite directions because the middle of the wire is to the right of one and to the left of the other one. But in (ii) the point is on the same side as both of the wires so since the fingers curl in opposite directions, the fields will have opposite directions.

oh i think i understand now thanks a million,looked in loads of books but none explained it in the simple straightforward manner that you did
cheers debs:tongue:

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a unit magnetic pole placed at a specific point in the field. It is also known as magnetic flux density and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that detects and measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the distance from the source of the field and the amount of current flowing through it.

3. What affects the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by various factors, including the distance from the source of the field, the size and shape of the magnet, and the amount of current flowing through it. It can also be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields, such as those from nearby magnets or electric currents.

4. How does magnetic field strength impact objects?

Magnetic field strength can impact objects in different ways. For example, it can cause magnetic materials to align with the field, which is the basis for how magnets attract or repel each other. It can also induce electric currents in conductive materials, which is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

5. Why is magnetic field strength important?

Magnetic field strength plays a crucial role in many areas of science and technology. It is essential for understanding the behavior of magnets and for developing technologies such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It also plays a significant role in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on our planet and its inhabitants.