Magnetic fields and current flows

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
liz_p88
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 2.50 meter long copper rod has a mass of 0.25 kilograms. A magnetic field of 0.15 Teslas is oriented horizontally from south to north. a.) What is the minimum current in the rod that would allow it to "levitate" in this magnetic field? b.) What is the direction of the current in the wire?

Homework Equations



F = mg
F = ILB
ILB = mg

The Attempt at a Solution



I = mg/(LB)

(.25kg)(9.8m/s^2)/(2.5m)(.15T) = 6.533 A, East

I'm not sure if I did this correctly
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! I doubt myself so much. I have to work so hard to understand these concepts and formulas
 
yes, work hard and you will gain confidence.