Magnetic fields and current flows

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum current needed for a copper rod to levitate in a horizontal magnetic field and the direction of the current in the rod. The solution involves using the equations F=mg, F=ILB, and ILB=mg to calculate the minimum current as 6.533 A, with the current flowing east. The individual expresses uncertainty but is encouraged to continue working hard to gain confidence in understanding these concepts and formulas.
liz_p88

Homework Statement

A 2.50 meter long copper rod has a mass of 0.25 kilograms. A magnetic field of 0.15 Teslas is oriented horizontally from south to north. a.) What is the minimum current in the rod that would allow it to "levitate" in this magnetic field? b.) What is the direction of the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

F = mg
F = ILB
ILB = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I = mg/(LB)

(.25kg)(9.8m/s^2)/(2.5m)(.15T) = 6.533 A, East

I'm not sure if I did this correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
yes you are correct.

Thank you! I doubt myself so much. I have to work so hard to understand these concepts and formulas

yes, work hard and you will gain confidence.

, but assuming all the given information is accurate, your solution seems to be correct. The direction of the current in the wire would indeed be east, as determined by the right-hand rule for magnetic fields. It is important to note that this calculation is only an approximation and there may be other factors at play that could affect the actual minimum current needed for levitation. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide units for your final answer (6.533 A) to make it more clear. Overall, your solution is a good starting point for further investigation and experimentation.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic dipole moments of elementary particles.

2. How do magnetic fields affect current flows?

Magnetic fields can affect current flows by exerting a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. This is known as the Lorentz force and is the principle behind electric motors and generators.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and electromagnetism?

Magnetic fields and electromagnetism are closely related, as the movement of electric charges creates a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

4. How can magnetic fields be used in technology?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in technology, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic storage devices like hard drives. They can also be used for magnetic levitation and in compasses for navigation.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In high doses, magnetic fields can be harmful to humans. Exposure to strong magnetic fields can cause dizziness, nausea, and other health effects. However, the magnetic fields found in everyday technology and the Earth's magnetic field are not harmful to humans.