Magnetic Fields & Cross Products

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the magnetic force acting on a positive charge moving in the xy plane with a given velocity and a local magnetic field in the +z direction. The expression for the force is given as F = qBV and a hint is given to find the determinant expression for the cross product. The person is asking for help in understanding how to compute a cross product and is seeking clarification on the methods to do so.
Soaring Crane
I desperately need help, for I am quite lost on this question:

Consider the example of a positive charge moving in the xy plane with velocity v = cos(theta)x + sin(theta)y (i.e., at angle theta with respect to the x axis). If the local magnetic field is in the +z direction, what is the direction of the magnetic force acting on the particle?

Express the direction of the force in terms of theta, as a linear combination of unit vectors, x, y, and z.

F = qBV

One hint given was to find the determinant expression for the cross product, but I don't know what this means.

Thanks for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \vec{F}_{Lorentz}=q \vec{v}\times\vec{B} [/tex]

Do you know to compute a cross product...?Through what methods...?

Daniel.

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. In this case, we are dealing with a charge moving in a magnetic field, which means we need to use the cross product to find the direction of the magnetic force acting on the particle.

To find the direction of the magnetic force, we can use the formula F = qv x B, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. In this case, we can rewrite the formula as F = q(v x B), where v and B are both vectors.

To find the cross product, we need to use a determinant expression. The determinant expression for the cross product is:

v x B = |i j k|
|vx vy vz|
|Bx By Bz|

where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively, and vx, vy, vz are the components of the velocity vector v, and Bx, By, Bz are the components of the magnetic field vector B.

In our case, we have v = cos(theta)x + sin(theta)y and B = 0x + 0y + Bz. Plugging these values into the determinant expression, we get:

v x B = |i j k|
|cos(theta) sin(theta) 0|
|0 0 Bz|

Now, to find the direction of the magnetic force, we need to evaluate this determinant. The result will be a vector in the direction of the force. To do this, we can use the "right-hand rule", which states that if you curl your fingers from the first vector (v) to the second vector (B), your thumb will point in the direction of the cross product (F).

In this case, if we curl our fingers from v to B, our thumb will point in the positive z direction. This means that the direction of the magnetic force is in the positive z direction.

To express this direction in terms of unit vectors, we can write F = Bz(cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j). This means that the magnetic force is a combination of the x and y unit vectors, with coefficients determined by the angle theta and the strength of the magnetic field Bz.

I hope this

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space in which a magnetic force can be observed. It is generated by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is measured in units of tesla (T).

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents. These moving charges create a circular magnetic field around them.

3. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. In the context of magnetic fields, the cross product is used to calculate the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

4. How do magnetic fields affect charged particles?

Magnetic fields exert a force on charged particles that are moving through them. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the particle's motion. The strength of the force is proportional to the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields and cross products?

Magnetic fields and cross products have many practical applications, including in motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in particle accelerators, electric motors, and compasses.