1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux and direction of induced current

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    I am really really hoping that the answer is wrong in the back of my book otherwise my entire basis for electricity/magnetism will be shattered :cry:

Basically, there is a picture of a magnetic field going into the page, and there is a coiled loop within this magnetic field. If the magnetic field is decreasing over time, which way will current flow in the loop?

I think that since its decreasing, the coil will induce a current to increase that magnetic field (into the page) and thus, thumb points into the page with right hand, and current flows clockwise (and electrons flow counter clockwise)..

Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I vote for 'no'.

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    I say clockwise too.

5. Aug 11, 2005 #4
    you are correct.

Can you tell what your book says ?

marlon

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5
    If you are looking from the top obviously clockwise and from bottom anticlockwise!
    Your concepts are right and thats Lenz Rule,observe the orientation well,sometimes they can confuse.!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?