• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Magnetic flux and direction of induced current

• Thread starter michaelw
  • Start date
I am really really hoping that the answer is wrong in the back of my book otherwise my entire basis for electricity/magnetism will be shattered :cry:

Basically, there is a picture of a magnetic field going into the page, and there is a coiled loop within this magnetic field. If the magnetic field is decreasing over time, which way will current flow in the loop?

I think that since its decreasing, the coil will induce a current to increase that magnetic field (into the page) and thus, thumb points into the page with right hand, and current flows clockwise (and electrons flow counter clockwise)..

Am I wrong?

Answers and Replies

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I vote for 'no'.

I say clockwise too.

michaelw said:
I am really really hoping that the answer is wrong in the back of my book otherwise my entire basis for electricity/magnetism will be shattered :cry:

Basically, there is a picture of a magnetic field going into the page, and there is a coiled loop within this magnetic field. If the magnetic field is decreasing over time, which way will current flow in the loop?

I think that since its decreasing, the coil will induce a current to increase that magnetic field (into the page) and thus, thumb points into the page with right hand, and current flows clockwise (and electrons flow counter clockwise)..

Am I wrong?
you are correct.

Can you tell what your book says ?

marlon

michaelw said:

Am I wrong?
If you are looking from the top obviously clockwise and from bottom anticlockwise!
Your concepts are right and thats Lenz Rule,observe the orientation well,sometimes they can confuse.!