Magnetic flux and direction of induced current

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of current flow in a coiled loop within a magnetic field that is decreasing over time. The group agrees that the current will flow clockwise in the loop, with electrons flowing counter clockwise. The asker expresses concern that this may not be the correct answer in the back of their book, but the others reassure them that their understanding is correct. They also mention the concept of Lenz's rule and the potential for confusion with the orientation of the loop.
michaelw
I am really really hoping that the answer is wrong in the back of my book otherwise my entire basis for electricity/magnetism will be shattered :cry:

Basically, there is a picture of a magnetic field going into the page, and there is a coiled loop within this magnetic field. If the magnetic field is decreasing over time, which way will current flow in the loop?

I think that since its decreasing, the coil will induce a current to increase that magnetic field (into the page) and thus, thumb points into the page with right hand, and current flows clockwise (and electrons flow counter clockwise)..

Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote for 'no'.

I say clockwise too.

michaelw said:
I am really really hoping that the answer is wrong in the back of my book otherwise my entire basis for electricity/magnetism will be shattered :cry:

Basically, there is a picture of a magnetic field going into the page, and there is a coiled loop within this magnetic field. If the magnetic field is decreasing over time, which way will current flow in the loop?

I think that since its decreasing, the coil will induce a current to increase that magnetic field (into the page) and thus, thumb points into the page with right hand, and current flows clockwise (and electrons flow counter clockwise)..

Am I wrong?
you are correct.

Can you tell what your book says ?

marlon

michaelw said:

Am I wrong?

If you are looking from the top obviously clockwise and from bottom anticlockwise!
Your concepts are right and that's Lenz Rule,observe the orientation well,sometimes they can confuse.!

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

What is the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. This means that if the magnetic flux is increasing, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction to try and decrease it, and vice versa.

How is magnetic flux related to induced current?

According to Faraday's Law of Induction, the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that the greater the change in magnetic flux, the stronger the induced current will be.

Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by changing the orientation of the conducting loop or wire in which the current is induced.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced current?

The magnitude of induced current is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of magnetic flux, and the number of turns in the conducting loop or wire. The greater these factors are, the stronger the induced current will be.