1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux Through a Coil

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long straight wire on the z-axis carries a current of 3.0 A in the positive direction. A circular loop in the xy-plane, of radius 10 cm, carries a 5.0-A current, as shown. Point P, at the center of the loop, is 25 cm from the z-axis.

A circular coil of four turns, 2 cm in diameter, is placed in the xy-plane with its center at P. The magnetic flux through the coil is closest to:

a)4.9 x 10-9 Wb
    b)9.9 x 10-9 Wb
    c)4.0 x 10-9 Wb
    d)1.5 x 10-9 Wb
    e)2.0 x 10-9 Wb

2. Relevant equations

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}Ia^2}{2(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex] (on the axis of a circular loop)

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}NI}{2a}[/tex] (at the center of N circular loops)

[tex]\Phi=\int[/tex]B*dA (magnetic flux)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I tried finding the magnetic flux of the loop first in the image given. First I needed the field of the loop:

Using the first formula, I used I = 5 A, x = .25 m, a = .01 m. My final answer resulted in : 2.01E-8 T

Then, I used the formula for magnetic flux, using 2.01E-8 T for B, and the area of this circle.

Area of circle: [tex]2\pi*r^2[/tex], where r will be .01
    [tex]2\pi*.01^2[/tex] = 6.28E-4

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = 2.01E-8 * 6.28 E-4 = 1.26 E -11

I figure that somehow, I needed the magnetic flux of the loop to figure out what the flux of the coil would be. Am I even approaching this correctly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You should put x=radius of the loop, a=0. Do you know what x and a represent? Consult your notes or book.

Where is the field due to the straight wire? You have to include that too.

After finding the total B at the centre, think about finding the flux.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?