1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force, Resistance, Faraday's Law

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting bar of length L = .218 m and mass M = .08 kg lies across a pair of conducting rails. The contact friction between the bar and the rails is negligible, but there is a resistor at one end with a value R = 20.0 Ohms. Initially the rod is given an initial speed of v0 = 42.0 meters per second. There is a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane containing the rod and rails of magnitude B = 2.2 T.
    What is the speed of the rod at time t = 15.303 s?
    How far does the rod slide before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations
    Ohm’s law: I=V/R
    Faraday’s law: V = dΦ/dt = B(dA/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    dA = Ldx, giving V=BL(dx/dt)=BLv

(B^2)(L^2)v/R= m(dv/dt)

If I rearrange this I get:
    (B^2)(L^2)/R dt= m/v dv

Taking the integrals of both sides gives:
    (B^2)(L^2)t/R (from t=0 to t=t) = m*ln(v) (from v0 to v)
    (B^2)(L^2)t/R = m*ln(v) – m*ln(v0)

Solve for v:
    v= e^[(B^2)(L^2)t/(Rm)+ln(v0)]

When I put in the numbers I’m not getting the right answer. Is what I did right? Is there something that I’m doing wrong?

Regarding the question on how far the bar goes...I'm guessing that once I get the right equation for velocity, I would set v=0 and solve for t. Then integrate v to find and equation for position and use the t to solve for it. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    good problem, i think. not sure why you haven't some help. Likely tomorrow am.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?