Determining Magnetic Field in a Uniform Electric & Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves an electron with a velocity of 1.20 x 10^4 m/s in the +x direction and an acceleration of 2.00 x 10^12 m/s/s in the +z direction, in a uniform electric and magnetic field. The electric field is known to be 20.0 N/C in the +z direction, but the value of the magnetic field cannot be determined. The equations used are F = q(v x B) and e = -1.67 x 10^-19 C. The acceleration allows for determination of the net force on the electron, and the equation used is Net force = Eq + qvxB.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

An electron has a velocity of 1.20 x 10^4 m/s in the +x direction. An acceleration of 2.00 x 10^12 m/s/s in the +z dir in a uniform electric and magnetic field. The electric field is 20.0 N/C in the +z direction. What can you determine about the magnetic field? What can you not determine?

Homework Equations

F = q(v x B)
e = -1.67 x 10^-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see why the mag. field would be Bz = 0 and By = something.
But I'm not sure how to find the value of By or why it will have a possible value to Bx.

I can find the electric force, but I don't know how I could relate that to magnetic force. F = Eq.

I also don't really know how to use the acceleration, it seems that the acceleration would only be useful if I needed to use the gravitational force... (I can't say the magnetic force is equal to mass*acceleration can I?)

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration allows you to determine the net force on the electron.

Is using Net force = Eq + qvxB on the right track?

jesuslovesu said:
Is using Net force = Eq + qvxB on the right track?
Yes, something like that. (I presume you can ignore gravity.)

1. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic field in a uniform electric and magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the electric field and your fingers in the direction of the current. The direction in which your palm is facing will be the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field in a uniform electric and magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field is B = μ0 * I * L / 2πr, where μ0 is the permeability constant, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. Can the magnetic field be affected by changing the electric field in a uniform electric and magnetic field?

No, the magnetic field is not affected by changes in the electric field in a uniform electric and magnetic field. The two fields are independent of each other.

4. What is the difference between a uniform electric field and a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform electric field is a field in which the electric field strength is constant throughout the entire region. A uniform magnetic field, on the other hand, is a field in which the magnetic field strength is constant and the field lines are parallel to each other.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field affected by the distance from the wire in a uniform electric and magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire in a uniform electric and magnetic field. This means that the further away you are from the wire, the weaker the magnetic field will be.