Magnetic forces and particle of mass

In summary, a particle with mass 1.81×10−3kg and a charge of 1.22×10−8C has a velocity of (3.00×104m/s)j^ produced by a uniform magnetic field B =(1.63T)i^+(0.980T)j^, and we are asked to find the value of the expression qvB/m when v is perpendicular to B. The magnitude of the resulting acceleration is 0.3296 k m/s^2.
vanitymdl
A particle with mass 1.81×10−3kg and a charge of 1.22×10−8C has, at a given instant, a velocity v =(3.00×104m/s)j^. produced by a uniform magnetic field B =(1.63T)i^+(0.980T)j^

Find the value of the expression qvB/m (the magnitude of a when v is perpendicular to B ), where q is the magnitude of the charge, v is the magnitude of the velocity, B is the magnitude of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

qvB/m =_____________m/s2

Attempt to problem:

F = m*a = q*(v cross B)

a = q/m * (v cross B)

v cross B = (0i + 30000j m/s) cross (1.63i + 0.980j T) = 0 i + 0 j - 48900 k m/s*T

a = 1.22 * 10^-8 C / 1.81 * 10^-3 kg * (0i + 0j - 48900 k m/s*T) = 0i + 0j - 0.3296 k m/s^2

But it keeps saying that the problem does not depend on I,j,k

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking for the magnitude.

The problem asks for a when v is perpendicular to B. But you have computed a at the moment when v = 3e4 j. v is then not perpendicular to B since v dot B ≠ 0.

EDITed last part of original post.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a magnetic force?

A magnetic force is a type of force that is exerted by magnets and magnetic fields. It is a non-contact force that can attract or repel objects with magnetic properties.

2. How do magnetic forces work?

Magnetic forces are caused by the movement of electrically charged particles. When these charged particles, such as electrons, move through a magnetic field, they experience a force that can push or pull them in a certain direction.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic forces and particles of mass?

The strength of a magnetic force is determined by the mass of the particles and their velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of the particles, the stronger the magnetic force will be.

4. Can magnetic forces affect all types of matter?

Magnetic forces can only affect objects that have magnetic properties, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. These materials have electrons that spin in the same direction, creating a net magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic forces?

Magnetic forces are used in a variety of applications, such as electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in data storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards.