Magnetic Forces on Conductors and charges- the motor principle

In summary, the magnetic force on a conductor is equal to the vector product of the electric field and the magnetic field.
Hmpca
Magnetic Forces on Conductors and charges-- the motor principle

An electron moving through an electric field of 475 V/m and a magnetic field of 0.1T experiences no force. if the electron's direction and the directions of the electric and magnetic fields are all mutually perpendicular, what is the speed of the electron??

the given variables are mass,charge,magnetic field,and electric field,and when also know that they are all perpendicular to each other (90 degrees).

Physics news on Phys.org

If the electron is experiencing no force, you want the force of the Electric and magnetic fields to cancel.
What are the formulas for the force of electric and magnetic fields?

i don`t want the fields to cancel each other out. i want the speed of the electron when both fields are perpendicular( right angle to each other)
magnetic field force=qvBsineθ
electric field force=kqq over r squared.

The question says the electron experiences no force, this means the force of the electric field and the force of the magnetic field cancel each other out.

The force experienced by the electron whilst in the electric field is [itex]F = qE[/itex]
The force experienced by the electron from the magnetic field is [itex]F = qvB[/itex]

so are you saying i should first figure out the electric field and then multiply it by -1 to get the value of magnetic field. when you have that rearrange the magnetic force equation for v

No, you know the strength of the electric field, 475 V/m and you know the strength of the magnetic field 0.1T. For the Force to be zero the force from these 2 fields on this electron must be the same strength, opposite direction, for them to cancel.

yeah i got it !:!)
you know what I thought... they wanted me to make the fields perpendicular to each other and THEN figure out the velocity of the electron.

Haha ok, well you got it in the end. :D

What is the motor principle?

The motor principle states that when a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular motion. This principle is the basis for the operation of electric motors.

How do magnetic forces act on conductors?

Magnetic forces act on conductors in the presence of a magnetic field. When a conductor carrying a current is placed in a magnetic field, the field exerts a force on the charges in the conductor, causing it to experience a net force and move in a particular direction.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a conductor?

The strength of the magnetic force on a conductor is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field. The force is strongest when the conductor is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the motion of a conductor?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force on the conductor. If the field and current are parallel, the force is zero. If they are perpendicular, the force causes the conductor to move in a circular motion.

What applications does the motor principle have?

The motor principle has many applications, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in various industrial and household appliances, such as fans, refrigerators, and washing machines.