Magnetism concept problem

In summary, Iron is a metal that can exhibit magnetic properties, but most pieces of iron are not magnetic. This is because magnetism in iron is caused by the flow of electrons, but in most pieces of iron, the flow of electrons is not aligned in a way that creates a strong magnetic field. Additionally, the direction of magnetism in iron is determined by the right hand rule, which can be used to find the direction of the magnetic field created by the flow of electrons.
blufor79

Homework Statement

Iron is a metal that exhibits magnetic properties, but most pieces of iron are not magnetic. Why?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. I am very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi blufor79! welcome to pf! :smile:

hint: what causes magnetism in a piece of iron? and what decides the direction of the magnetism? :wink:

i am guessing its the magnetic field caused by the flow of electrons in the iron. and i know using the right hand rule you can find the direction of the magnetism

what flow? where are they going?

and what is the direction of magnetism in, say, an iron nail?

I can provide a possible explanation for this concept problem. While iron is a metal that exhibits magnetic properties, it is not always magnetic in its natural state. This is because the magnetic properties of iron depend on its atomic and crystalline structure, specifically the alignment of its electrons. In its natural state, most pieces of iron have their electrons randomly aligned, which cancels out the magnetic effect. However, if the iron is exposed to a strong magnetic field, the electrons can align in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. This is why some pieces of iron can be magnetized, while others are not. Additionally, the purity and composition of the iron can also affect its magnetic properties. I hope this helps to clarify the concept.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon where objects with magnetic properties can attract or repel each other. This is caused by the alignment of electrons in a material, which creates a magnetic field.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is a result of the movement of electrons in a material. When electrons are in motion, they create a magnetic field around them. This field can interact with other magnetic fields, causing objects to attract or repel each other.

3. What are the types of magnets?

There are two main types of magnets: permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets retain their magnetism even when they are not near other magnets. Electromagnets, on the other hand, only have a magnetic field when an electric current is passing through them.

4. How is magnetism measured?

Magnetism is measured using a device called a magnetometer. The strength of a magnet's field is measured in units of gauss or tesla. The Earth's magnetic field, for example, has an average strength of 0.5 gauss.

5. What are some applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Some common uses include electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and speakers. It is also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards. Additionally, magnetic fields are used in compasses for navigation.