Magnets and Magnetic fields

In summary, the question is asking if the number of attached magnets is linearly related to the number of paper clips/bolts/nuts that are magnetically chained together. The solution is that for ferromagnets, the magnetization is linear with field, therefore there is a linear relationship between the number of attached magnets and the number of paper clips/bolts/nuts that are magnetically chained together. The equation is \vec M = \chi_m \vec H and this explains how stacking a bunch of magnets increases their strength.
rfoo

Homework Statement

Does the number of attached identical magnets linearly relate to the number of paper clips/bolts/nuts that are magnetically chained together?

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes they are linearly related?

I am guessing that yes it is linear. But I need equations and a full explanation on why this is. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
huh? I don't understand your question. Can you show a diagram?

adjacent said:

that's all i am given. there is no diagram or anything...

adjacent said:

ok i think i sort of understand what this question is asking. it is saying, if there are more magnets attached to each other, will there be proportionately more papersclips that will attract to the magnets? basically like... how does stacking a bunch of magnets increase the strength of them? provide equations and such

rfoo said:
ok i think i sort of understand what this question is asking. it is saying, if there are more magnets attached to each other, will there be proportionately more papersclips that will attract to the magnets? basically like... how does stacking a bunch of magnets increase the strength of them? provide equations and such

For ferromagnets, we assume the magnetization is linear with field:

[tex]\vec M = \chi_m \vec H[/tex]

So for ferromagnets, yes they are linearly related.

1. What is a magnet?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field and has the ability to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work based on the movement of electrons within the atoms of the magnet. The alignment of these electrons creates a magnetic field, which can interact with other magnetic fields to produce attraction or repulsion.

3. What are the two poles of a magnet?

A magnet has two poles, a north pole and a south pole. The north pole of one magnet will be attracted to the south pole of another magnet, while the north pole of one magnet will repel the north pole of another magnet.

4. How can magnets be used in everyday life?

Magnets have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in generators and motors, speakers and headphones, refrigerators, credit cards, and even medical devices such as MRI machines.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

Magnetic fields are generally considered safe for humans at low levels. However, exposure to high levels of magnetic fields can have potential health risks, such as disrupting the function of pacemakers or causing headaches and dizziness. Further research is needed to fully understand the effects of magnetic fields on human health.