Magnitude and direction of induced current with magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
skibum143
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A conducting rod whose length is 25 cm is placed on a U-shaped metal wire that has a resistance of 8 ohm. The wire and rod are placed in the plane of the paper. A constant magnetic field of strength 0.40 T is applied out of the paper. An applied force moves the rod to the left with a constant speed of 6.0 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the induced current in the wire?


Homework Equations


Fwire = iLB
I = V/R
F = qvB

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't understand how to solve for the current. Is there a relationship between velocity and something else here that can help me solve for it? I have the length (.25m) and B field (.40T), so if I knew current I could solve for F. I also don't know how to find q of the conducting rod.

The figure is attached. Thanks!
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks!
 
Do you know faraday's law? Remember that flux is [itex]\int \int B \cdot da[/tex]. The negative time derivative of flux will give you EMF (or voltage).[/itex]