Magnitude and direction of induced current with magnetic field

In summary, a conducting rod with a length of 25 cm is placed on a U-shaped metal wire with a resistance of 8 ohm in a plane. A constant magnetic field of 0.40 T is applied out of the paper and a force moves the rod to the left at a speed of 6.0 m/s. The induced current in the wire can be found using Faraday's law and the formula for force (F = iLB). The direction of the current can be determined by the right-hand rule.
skibum143

Homework Statement

A conducting rod whose length is 25 cm is placed on a U-shaped metal wire that has a resistance of 8 ohm. The wire and rod are placed in the plane of the paper. A constant magnetic field of strength 0.40 T is applied out of the paper. An applied force moves the rod to the left with a constant speed of 6.0 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the induced current in the wire?

Homework Equations

Fwire = iLB
I = V/R
F = qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to solve for the current. Is there a relationship between velocity and something else here that can help me solve for it? I have the length (.25m) and B field (.40T), so if I knew current I could solve for F. I also don't know how to find q of the conducting rod.

The figure is attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• rod and wire.doc
    34 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks!

Do you know faraday's law? Remember that flux is [itex]\int \int B \cdot da[/tex]. The negative time derivative of flux will give you EMF (or voltage).

Related to Magnitude and direction of induced current with magnetic field

1. What is the relationship between magnetic field and induced current?

The magnitude and direction of induced current is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field increases, the induced current also increases in magnitude and changes direction accordingly.

2. How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of the induced current is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the movement of the conductor. According to Faraday's Law, the induced current flows in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

3. Does the speed of the conductor affect the magnitude of induced current?

Yes, the speed of the conductor does affect the magnitude of induced current. A faster-moving conductor will experience a larger change in magnetic field, resulting in a greater magnitude of induced current.

4. How does the shape of the conductor affect the induced current?

The shape of the conductor does not directly affect the magnitude of induced current. However, a longer conductor can experience a larger change in magnetic field and therefore a greater induced current. The shape of the conductor may also affect the direction of the induced current, depending on the orientation of the magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed. This can happen if the direction of the magnetic field or the movement of the conductor changes. In some cases, the direction of the induced current may also be reversed by introducing a magnetic field in the opposite direction.