Magnitude/Direction of Current in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation involved finding the magnitude and direction of the current in each branch of a circuit with a given voltage and specific current directions. The Loop and Junction Rules were applied to set up a system of equations, with the main goal being to solve for the unknown currents. The polarity of the battery symbol was also mentioned as it could potentially affect the final answer.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the current in each branch of the circuit shown below, in which B1 = 1.83 V. Specify the direction of each current.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6951/physics.gif

I labeled + and - and drew the assumed currents, with I3 flowing to the right along the middle, I1 flowing CW about the top loop, and I2 flowing CCW about the bottom loop.

Homework Equations

The Loop and Junction Rules apply.

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the junction rule first.

I1 + I2 - I3 = 0
I1 + I2 = I3

Then I applied the loop rule to the top loop.

-I3(56) - 5 - I1(22) = 0

And then I applied the loop rule to the bottom loop.

-I3(56) - 1.83 - I2(75) = 0

I know I have to use these equations to solve for the unknown I's, but I am lost on what to substitute/do next. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use I1 + I2 = I3 to replace both of the I3's in the other equations with I1 + I2.
Then you will have a system of two equations with two unknowns.
You can solve one of them for I2, then sub that into the other one to get one equation with one unknown. Alternatively, use the system solver at http://www.analyzemath.com/Calculators/Calculator_syst_eq.html to deal with the system of 2 equations.

What is the polarity on the battery symbol? Years ago they had it wrong - the small end was negative. Have they corrected that in your class or is it still that way? Of course it affects your answer so you need to know which end is positive.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the circuit and identifying the relationships between the different components. It appears that the circuit is a combination of series and parallel connections, with a voltage source (B1) and three resistors (5Ω, 22Ω, and 75Ω).

To find the magnitude of the current in each branch, we can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the concept of Kirchhoff's Laws. The junction rule states that the sum of the currents entering a junction must equal the sum of the currents leaving the junction. Using this rule, we can set up the following equation:

I1 + I2 = I3

Next, we can apply the loop rule to the top loop and bottom loop. The loop rule states that the sum of the potential differences around a closed loop must equal zero. Using this rule, we can set up the following equations:

-5 - 22I1 - 56I3 = 0
-1.83 - 75I2 - 56I3 = 0

We now have three equations and three unknowns (I1, I2, and I3). We can use algebraic methods to solve for these unknowns. One approach would be to solve for one variable in terms of the others and then substitute that into the other equations.

For example, we can solve for I1 in terms of I2 and I3 from the first equation:

I1 = I3 - I2

We can then substitute this expression for I1 into the second and third equations. After some algebraic manipulation, we can solve for I2 and I3.

Once we have solved for I1, I2, and I3, we can use Ohm's Law to find the magnitude of the current in each branch. For example, the magnitude of the current in the top branch (I1) would be:

I1 = (V1 - V2)/R1 = (5V - 0V)/22Ω = 0.227 A

The direction of the current can be determined based on the assumed direction in the problem statement. In this case, I1 is flowing clockwise about the top loop, I2 is flowing counterclockwise about the bottom loop, and I3 is flowing to the right along the middle branch.

In summary, to find the magnitude and direction of the current in each branch

FAQ: Magnitude/Direction of Current in a Circuit

1. What is the magnitude of current in a circuit?

The magnitude of current in a circuit refers to the strength or amount of electric charge flowing through the circuit at a given time. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance in the circuit, using Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

2. How is the direction of current flow determined in a circuit?

The direction of current flow in a circuit is determined by the flow of positive charge. This is opposite to the actual flow of electrons, which are negatively charged. Therefore, current is said to flow from positive to negative terminals in a circuit.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current in a circuit?

The magnitude of current in a circuit is affected by the voltage, resistance, and the type of material the circuit is made of. A higher voltage or lower resistance will result in a larger current, while a lower voltage or higher resistance will result in a smaller current.

4. How does the magnitude of current change in a series vs parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the magnitude of current is the same at all points in the circuit, as there is only one path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the magnitude of current is divided between the different branches of the circuit, with the total current being equal to the sum of the individual currents in each branch.

5. Can the direction of current change in a circuit?

Yes, the direction of current can change in a circuit. This can occur if the direction of the voltage source is reversed, or if the circuit contains components such as diodes or transistors that can change the direction of current flow.

Back