Magnitude of the Force of Friction

In summary, a wooden crate with a mass of 20.0 kg is being dragged across a floor at a constant speed by a force of 85.0N. The net force on the crate is 0, and therefore the force of friction must also be 0. In another conversation, a painter with a mass of 70kg is pulling himself on a platform with a mass of 10kg using ropes with a force F. The value of F can be found by using the equation F=ma, and the contact force exerted by the painter on the platform can be calculated using the same equation.
Helpme7534
A wooden crate with a mass of 20.0 kg is dragged across a floor at a constant speed by a force of 85.0N. The magnitude of the force of friction here is ____ N.

I'm not even sure how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do Newton's laws say about constant speed motion?

F=ma

no acceleration?

Helpme7534 said:
no acceleration?
If it is dragged with constant speed, yes. Try to draw a free body diagram and find forces acting on the object. Now let's see. I can first find two forces.
Hint: 'apple and Newton', and [the block is being moved by what?]

k i appreciate the help but i need to no how to do it,
f=ma yes i no that, but i don't no how to get force of friction

If there is no acceleration, what is the net force?

85n?

no... you have information that there is no acceleration. so a=0 plug that in f(net)=ma. What is net force now?

0, so 85 N is the force of friction?

Yes, zero. But Sorry, force of friction is not 85n. We are pulling this with 85n. If force of friction equals the force pulling, the object won't move. Take a look at your another post in which I submitted by opinion.

Whoa I think you're wrong there stanton...and Helpme7534 is right. Don't confuse the guy.

If force of friction equals the force pulling, the object will move if it was already moving.

A Painter of Mass 70kg stands on a platform of mass 10kg and pulls himself with an acceleration of 10 cm/sec^2. He pulls each rope with a force F as shown below.

a). Draw a free body diagram for the painter.
b). Compute the value of F.
c). Compute the contact force which the painter exerts on the platform.

(sorry i couldn't draw the image. which is man pulling down the two ropes from two directions.)

Related to Magnitude of the Force of Friction

What is the magnitude of the force of friction?

The magnitude of the force of friction is the amount of force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

How is the magnitude of the force of friction calculated?

The magnitude of the force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force exerted on the object by the surface it is in contact with.

What factors affect the magnitude of the force of friction?

The magnitude of the force of friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force exerted on the object. It also depends on the speed and direction of the motion of the object.

How does the magnitude of the force of friction impact an object's motion?

The magnitude of the force of friction can either decrease or increase an object's motion depending on its direction. If the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the object's motion, it will slow down the object. If the force of friction is in the same direction as the object's motion, it can increase its motion.

How can the magnitude of the force of friction be reduced?

The magnitude of the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. Additionally, reducing the weight or normal force of the object can also decrease the magnitude of the frictional force.