Magnus effect and Air resistance

In summary, the Magnus effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to its direction of motion when moving through a fluid medium. It is caused by a difference in air pressure on the opposite sides of the object and has various applications in sports and aerodynamics. It is also related to air resistance, but is different from the drag force commonly associated with air resistance. Additionally, it can occur in other fluids such as water, but the magnitude of the effect may vary.
Roffmanjoe
I was wondering which of these air resistance or magnus affect plays a role in the distance traveled by a ball more for a top spinning ball

my thoughts would be that with both these effects the distance of the ball would travel less

Please answer my question to satisfy my curiosity :D

Physics news on Phys.org
the Magnus effect is a consequence of air resistance... I don't see how you want to compare them. Magnus effect occurs for spinning objects.

1. What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to its direction of motion when moving through a fluid medium, such as air or water.

2. How does the Magnus effect work?

The Magnus effect is caused by a difference in air pressure on the opposite sides of a spinning object. As the object moves through the fluid, the air on one side is moving in the same direction as the spin, while the air on the other side is moving in the opposite direction. This creates a difference in air pressure, resulting in a force perpendicular to the direction of motion.

3. What is the importance of the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect has various applications in sports, such as in baseball, golf, and soccer, where it is used to create spin and control the trajectory of the ball. It is also important in aerodynamics and can be used to improve the performance of aircraft and wind turbines.

4. How is the Magnus effect related to air resistance?

The Magnus effect is a form of air resistance, as it is caused by the interaction between a moving object and air molecules. However, it is different from the drag force that is commonly associated with air resistance, which is caused by the object's shape and speed.

5. Can the Magnus effect be applied in other fluids besides air?

Yes, the Magnus effect can also occur in other fluids such as water. It is commonly observed in various water sports, such as kayaking and rowing, where it is used to steer and stabilize the boat. However, the magnitude of the effect may differ depending on the properties of the fluid.