Magnus force and boundary layer equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a derivation or proof for the Magnus force that affects rotating cylinders and spheres in air. The formula for this force is fm=S(v)ω^v and the person is looking for a clearer explanation or breakdown of how this formula was derived. They also mention a need for solving boundary layer equations numerically. They provide a link to a pdf with a derivation of the classical Magnus force, but are looking for a simpler explanation. They ask if the two derivations are the same and also question the importance of radius and the difference between a sphere and a cylinder in relation to the Magnus force.
ponjavic
First of all I am trying to find a "derivation??" for the Magnus force that affects rotating cylinders and spheres passing moving through air.

By derivation, if it is not correct, I mean a proof, something showing how the function was created.

I have found the magnus force quite easily by searching through the web and it seems to be:

fm=S(v)ω^v

As I said I need some kind of equations leading to this formula.

Also I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with solving boundary layer equations (numerically) as I have a need for doing that but am unable to.

I understand my language is not perfect and I urge you to ask if there is something that is not fully understandable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I hope someone has atleast wanted to help with this problem :)
I found this pdf which contain a derivation of the classical magnus force but I am having a hard time understanding it, if someone familiar with advanced physics could give me layman's term rundown I'd be immensly grateful :D

FredGarvin said:
Perhaps this link which states a derivation and some sources may be of help:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jun99/928944018.Ph.r.html
I will go through it this evening but I am just wondering if the two derivations are the same?

How come radius isn't important?

And what's the difference if it's a sphere or a cylinder?

Last edited:

1. What is the Magnus force?

The Magnus force is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a spinning object, such as a ball, experiences a sideways force while moving through a fluid. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the spin axis of the object.

2. How is the Magnus force related to boundary layer equations?

The Magnus force is affected by the boundary layer of the fluid that the object is moving through. The boundary layer equations help to determine the behavior of the fluid around the spinning object and how it affects the Magnus force.

3. Can the Magnus force be calculated?

Yes, the Magnus force can be calculated using the Magnus effect equation, which takes into account the properties of the object, such as its spin rate and surface area, as well as the properties of the fluid, such as its density and viscosity.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Magnus force?

The Magnus force is important in many sports, such as baseball, golf, and soccer, as it affects the trajectory of the ball. It is also relevant in aerodynamics and can be used to improve the efficiency of wind turbines and aircraft wings.

5. Are there any limitations to the Magnus force and boundary layer equations?

While the Magnus force and boundary layer equations are useful in understanding the behavior of fluids around spinning objects, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately predict the behavior of complex fluid flows or when the object is moving at high speeds.