1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make a graph comparing velocity

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    I currently have two problems left that I have to complete for physics, but I can't seem to figure out how to solve them.
    1. A person takes a trip, driving with a constant speed of 89.5 km/h except for a 22.0-min rest stop. If the person's average speed is 77.8 km/h, how much time is spent on the trip and how far does the person travel?

(NOTE: I do not need the answer, I just need to know how to solve it)
    2. Make a graph comparing velocity (velocity-time graph, 2 curves)
    (box=car, circle=big rolling marble/ball/object)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    They give us an average velocity of 77.8 km/h. We know that average velocity is (change in distance)/(change in time). so start from there

77.8 = (change in distance)/(change in time)

the change in distance is 89.5 km/h * X (x = some number of hours that he spent driving). the change in time is X + (22/60) (the time he spent driving + the break he took). since the velocities are given in hours, the break should be converted from minutes into hours.

so that gives...

77.8 km/h = (89.5 km/h)X / (X+(22/60))
    x = 2.44 hours

to get the distance traveled simply take 89.5*x to get 218.2 km
  4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    Wow, its so simple. Thanks for your help, BishopUser.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?