Smart TV Upgrade: Fire Stick or Fibe?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, a 'smart tv' is a standalone device that connects to your WiFi and can watch streaming media services, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube. A cable box will decode the signal specifically for that cable company, and you will need to contact the cable company for another cable box or for multiple boxes. Even if you can split the box output, you will not be able to control the box in another room.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I already have Bell Fibe and a smart Tv in the living room that runs Rogers Cable. I want the bedroom dumb TV to use the same Fibe.
I hear about these Fire Sticks but is that overkill, since I already have Fibe?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not totally clear on what you have and want (partly because I'm unfamiliar with the companies...). Googling Bell Fibe and Rogers Cable; their websites imply each is a cable TV provider. And being a "smart tv" is different from being connected to a cable tv service. The answer may simply to be to contact Bell Fibe and have them send you a receiver box for a second TV if that's the service you're after extending.

A smart Tv is stand-alone, and connects to your WiFi. If the TV itself is dumb, yes, a fire stick, chromecast, Roku, etc. would be how to give it "smarts".

If you want both, the cable box may have smart tv functions too, but I'm not sure.

With a smart TV, you can view Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, IMDB, and many other sources of video.

To use something like a Fire Stick, your dumb TV needs an HDMI port like this.
1617281130600.png

It also needs a WiFi connection.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
With a smart TV, you can view Netflix, Amazon,
That's a misleading statement. Yes, you can watch them but ONLY if you pay yearly for the subscriptions. Netflix and Amazon [Prime] are not free just because you have a smart TV.

phinds said:
That's a misleading statement. Yes, you can watch them but ONLY if you pay yearly for the subscriptions. Netflix and Amazon [Prime] are not free just because you have a smart TV.
I don't think it's misleading at all (I think it is self evident), but I'll generalize: the primary purpose of a smart TV is to connect to/watch streaming media services.

Aside: some such services are "free" and some you have to pay money for.

Aside, aside: I put "'free"' in quotes because nothing is truly free. Even for the "free" ones that you don't pay money for, you are giving them something in exchange for being able to watch.

anorlunda said:
With a smart TV, you can view Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, IMDB, and many other sources of video.

To use something like a Fire Stick, your dumb TV needs an HDMI port like this.View attachment 280715

It also needs a WiFi connection.
Really, all I want is to watch regular cable in the bedroom. Currently, the bedroom TV uses a cable box, but Rogers cable boxes are complete crap - they stop working and have to be rebooted regularly.

DaveC426913 said:
Really, all I want is to watch regular cable in the bedroom. Currently, the bedroom TV uses a cable box, but Rogers cable boxes are complete crap - they stop working and have to be rebooted regularly.
I don't think there is a way to extend the capability with a 3rd party device; it need its own "tuner" and the ability to communicate with the cable company. The best you could do otherwise would be some sort of splitter that enables watching exactly the same program on both tvs at once.

Likes FactChecker
russ_watters said:
I don't think there is a way to extend the capability with a 3rd party device; it need its own "tuner" and the ability to communicate with the cable company. The best you could do otherwise would be some sort of splitter that enables watching exactly the same program on both tvs at once.
Right. A cable box will decode the signal specifically for that cable company. They do that so that people can not snoop on their service without paying. You will have to contact the cable company for another cable box or for multiple boxes. Even if you can split the box output, you will not be able to control the box in another room.

The crummy cable boxes are the trigger for me wanting to change. These are little boxes, the size of a fat paperback, next to my dumb TV. They are nothing but trouble and heart ache.

DaveC426913 said:
The crummy cable boxes are the trigger for me wanting to change. These are little boxes, the size of a fat paperback, next to my dumb TV. They are nothing but trouble and heart ache.
Is it possible for you to buy an equivalent cable box? If your cable/ISP is anything like mine, I have a cable box (made by Motorola), for which I pay $10 or so every month forever (grr!), and a wireless modem. At first, I paid a monthly fee for the wireless modem as well, but wised up and bought the same thing for about $80 maybe 5 years ago, thereby eliminating that fee.

We've had the cable provider's cable box for 15 years, and it gives us very little trouble. The wireless modem is a Motorola Surfboard, now a bit long in the tooth, but it works fairly well. Our cable provider is also our ISP, so the modem is used in wireless mode for two laptops, and also by hard-wired ethernet cable for two other computers. Once in a while the wireless side of the modem craps out and I need to power it down for a minute, then everything is fine.

1. What is a Smart TV Upgrade?

A Smart TV Upgrade is the process of enhancing your existing TV by connecting it to a device that allows you to access internet-based streaming services and apps, making your TV "smart". This allows you to access a wider range of content and features on your TV.

2. What is a Fire Stick?

A Fire Stick is a small device that connects to your TV's HDMI port and allows you to stream content from online services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. It also has a voice-controlled remote for easy navigation.

3. What is Fibe?

Fibe is a type of internet service offered by some providers, such as Bell in Canada. It uses fiber optic technology to deliver high-speed internet and TV services to your home. Fibe TV refers to the TV service offered by these providers, which allows you to access a variety of channels and on-demand content.

4. Which is better: Fire Stick or Fibe?

Both Fire Stick and Fibe have their own advantages. Fire Stick is a more affordable option and offers a wide range of streaming services. Fibe, on the other hand, offers a larger selection of channels and on-demand content. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs.

5. Do I need a Smart TV to use Fire Stick or Fibe?

No, you do not need a Smart TV to use Fire Stick or Fibe. As long as your TV has an HDMI port, you can connect the device and access the content. This makes it a cost-effective way to upgrade your TV without having to purchase a new one.