The Formation of Bromine in Manufacturing: How Does It Work?

• Thread starter Kushal
  • Start date
In summary, bromine is extracted from sodium bromide dissolved in sea water through a series of steps. The first step involves passing chlorine into sea water at pH 3.5. The equation for this step is Cl2 + NaBr --> NaCl + Br2. The second step uses air and aqueous sodium carbonate to absorb the bromine, resulting in a solution of sodium bromate(V) with a molar ratio of 1:5. The third and final step involves acidifying the solution to decrease the pH, leading to the formation of bromine through a pH dependent equilibrium reaction. The equation for this step is 3Br2 + 6OH- --> 5Br- + BrO3- + 3H
Kushal

Homework Statement

Bromine is obtained from the sodium bromide dissolved in sea water by:

I passing chlorine into sea water at pH 3.5

II blowing out the bromine with air and absorbing it in aqueous sodium carbonate

III acidifying the solution and distilling out the bromine.

(i) Write an equation for step I.

(ii) Step II produces a solution of sodium bromate(V), NaBrO3 in the molar ratio 1:5.

Construct an equation for the formation of the bromine in step III.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Cl2 + NaBr ----> NaCl + Br2

(ii) i have no idea how to interpret the information provided in this part. how can the mole ratio help me?

thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
Google disproportionation.

i didn't think of the disproportionation of bromine into bromide Br- and bromate BrO3-.

thnks

but how does either of the products give bromine upon acidification?

is it a similar reaction as acid + carbonate?

I would call it "pH dependent equilbrium".

i tried googling pH dependent equilibrium but i couldn't find something specific to the bromine extraction reaction.
sodium carbonate is alkaline. the pH would be around 9-10. acidifying the solution would decrease the pH...

i'm lost...

You are close. Just write balanced reaction equation Br2 + OH- and you will see that it is pH dependent. LeChetelier's priniciple is enough to explain what is going on.

3Br2 + 6OH- ----> 5Br- + BrO3- + 3H2O

ahhh... now i get why the ratio is 1:5...

is the reaction reversible?

if this is the case, as you add H+, the concentration of OH- decrease. according to LCP the backward reaction is favoured, producing more Br2

1. What is bromine used for in manufacturing?

Bromine is primarily used as a reactant or catalyst in the production of various chemicals, including pharmaceuticals, flame retardants, and agricultural products. It is also used in the manufacturing of dyes, water treatment products, and sanitizers.

2. How is bromine extracted from its natural sources?

Most of the world's bromine supply is extracted from saltwater brines in the form of sodium bromide. The brine is pumped to the surface and treated with chlorine gas to produce elemental bromine, which is then separated and purified through a series of distillation processes.

3. What are the environmental impacts of manufacturing bromine?

The production of bromine can have negative environmental impacts, as it is a highly reactive and toxic chemical. It can contribute to air and water pollution, and its disposal can also be hazardous. However, many manufacturers have implemented processes to reduce these impacts, such as recycling and proper waste management.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working with bromine?

Bromine is a corrosive and toxic substance, so it is important to handle it with caution. Proper personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and respiratory protection, should be worn when working with bromine. It is also important to have proper ventilation in the manufacturing facility and to follow all safety protocols and procedures.

5. How is the demand for bromine expected to change in the future?

The demand for bromine is expected to continue to increase in the future, as it is a key ingredient in many industries and products. However, there is also a push towards finding more sustainable alternatives, so the demand may shift to other chemicals in the future. Additionally, regulations around the use and disposal of bromine may also impact its demand in the manufacturing industry.