Mass, Gravity and the Higgs Mechanism

In summary, the Higgs Mechanism does not explain gravity. It only explains the masses of the leptons, quarks, and W+, W-, and Z bosons. Without the Higgs Mechanism, there would be no mass and no gravity in the universe.
EskWIRED
I am led to believe that while the Higgs Mechanism is now almost certainly the explanation for mass, it gives no insight whatsoever into gravity.

I really really hope that I am incorrect.

There's got to be some speculation out there. What do the boson and the field have to do with gravity? Nothing? Or is there almost certainly a relationship, unclear as it may be?

What can I read (other than your fascinating replies)? Where can I go for some more info?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Higgs mechanism is the explanation for the masses of the fundamental leptons, quarks, and W+, W-, and Z bosons. However most mass in the universe has nothing to do with the Higgs mechanism. The overwhelming majority of the mass of the proton comes from the energy of the gluon field holding it together.

All of this has nothing to do with gravity.

EskWIRED said:
I am led to believe that while the Higgs Mechanism is now almost certainly the explanation for mass, it gives no insight whatsoever into gravity.

The Higgs doesn't explain why energy (more precisely stress-energy) creates spacetime curvature, so yes, I would agree it doesn't give any insight into gravity.

PeterDonis said:
The Higgs doesn't explain why energy (more precisely stress-energy) creates spacetime curvature, so yes, I would agree it doesn't give any insight into gravity.

Bummer. That's a more complete statement than I was previously aware of. But it was in line with my understanding.

Ben Niehoff said:
The Higgs mechanism is the explanation for the masses of the fundamental leptons, quarks, and W+, W-, and Z bosons. However most mass in the universe has nothing to do with the Higgs mechanism. The overwhelming majority of the mass of the proton comes from the energy of the gluon field holding it together.

All of this has nothing to do with gravity.

When you say "all of this" do you also mean that there is no known causative link between the mass produced by the gluon field and gravity?

I find this deeply disappointing. It bugs me. I'm not sure why.

Higgs Mechanism is a mechanism of spontaneous breaking of the symmetry SU(2)xUy(1).

It naturally gives you massive Ws,Zs and massless photon, and so the electroweak theory.
So what does it have to do with gravity?

Morgoth said:
Higgs Mechanism is a mechanism of spontaneous breaking of the symmetry SU(2)xUy(1).

It naturally gives you massive Ws,Zs and massless photon, and so the electroweak theory.
So what does it have to do with gravity?

My understanding is that absent the Higgs Mechanism, there is no mass. And that absent mass, there is no gravity.

Therefore, I have difficulty understanding how the one has nothing to do with the other. Maybe I have a much deeper misunderstanding.

in fact without higgs mechanism we wouldn't comprehend the mass of Z and W bosons... your problem was that all your bosonic fields are massless, but weak interactions appeared to have massive bosons.
So you say that fundamentally you have one symmetry that is breaking, and via that breaking you get massive and massless bosons.

So it's not how you get mass in general, but why weak interaction mediators have mass, and so why weak interactions are weak...

EskWIRED said:
My understanding is that absent the Higgs Mechanism, there is no mass. And that absent mass, there is no gravity.

The source of gravity isn't mass, it's stress-energy. Mass is only one form of stress-energy; you can have stress-energy present without mass.

To add to what Peter Donis has said: Even massless particles act as a source for gravity! For example, the Reissner-Nordstrom solution has non-vanishing Einstein tensor because of the electric field (i.e., the collective excitations of virtual photons) that permeates all spacetime.

It might make more sense to say the Higgs particle is what makes certain other particles travel slower than the speed of light.

Related to Mass, Gravity and the Higgs Mechanism

1. What is mass and how is it related to gravity?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while gravity is the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. The more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, such as pebbles.

2. What is the Higgs mechanism and how does it relate to mass?

The Higgs mechanism is a proposed explanation for how particles acquire mass. According to this theory, particles gain mass by interacting with a field called the Higgs field, which permeates all of space. The more a particle interacts with this field, the more mass it has.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs boson is a particle that is predicted by the Higgs mechanism. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and provided evidence for the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs boson is responsible for giving other particles their mass through its interactions with the Higgs field.

4. How does the Higgs mechanism contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The Higgs mechanism is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is our current best explanation for the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It helps us understand how particles acquire mass and how they interact with each other. The discovery of the Higgs boson also confirmed a key aspect of this theory.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Higgs mechanism?

While the Higgs mechanism may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it actually has several practical applications. For example, it helps us understand the stability of the universe and the formation of galaxies. It also plays a role in technologies such as particle accelerators, which use the principles of the Higgs mechanism to study subatomic particles.