What is the depth of the weight below the beam?

In summary, the problem is asking for the depth of a weight suspended by two strings, 1.3m and 2m in length, and attached to two points on a horizontal beam 2m apart. The weight is assumed to be a point and the strings hang at angles to support it. The equilibrium conditions should be written down as relevant equations. The goal is to calculate the distance of the weight from the beam, possibly for the center of mass. The correct diagram for the problem should show the weight as a point suspended by two strings at angles and the distance from the weight to the beam as the desired measurement.
Shivansh Mathur

Homework Statement

A weight is supported by 2 stings 1.3m and 2m long fastened to two points on a horizontal beam 2m apart. What is the depth of the weight below the beam?

My question is- what does it mean by the "depth" of the beam?

Homework Equations

i'm new to the topic.

The Attempt at a Solution

the diagram which i made:
IMG_0102.JPG

please help in finding a solution. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand the problem, the weight is not a beam as you have drawn it but is, instead, small enough to be considered to be a point. The strings hang at angles to support it.

I don't think your picture is right. Re-read the problem and try again.

Also, you should write down the equilibrium conditions as the relevant equations.

In which context did you get this homework or which cours are you attending? Because to me it seems, that you only have to calculate the distance of the weight from the beam - maybe for the center of the mass (which you have already found, but the force (vector) - if the drawn arrow should indicate this - points in the wrong direction).

The new diagram should be like this then:
IMG_0103.JPG

stockzahn said:
In which context did you get this homework or which cours are you attending? Because to me it seems, that you only have to calculate the distance of the weight from the beam - maybe for the center of the mass (which you have already found, but the force (vector) - if the drawn arrow should indicate this - points in the wrong direction).

no no! that arrow i have just drawn to label, it's not the direction of the vector.

Shivansh Mathur said:
The new diagram should be like this then:
Yes, that's it.

1. What is mass hanging on strings?

Mass hanging on strings refers to a scientific experiment or demonstration in which objects of varying masses are suspended from strings and allowed to swing freely. This can be used to observe and understand the principles of pendulum motion and the effects of gravity on different masses.

2. What materials are needed for a mass hanging on strings experiment?

To conduct a mass hanging on strings experiment, you will need a sturdy support structure (such as a stand or hook), strings of equal length, and objects of varying masses. You may also need a ruler or measuring tape for recording data.

3. What factors affect the motion of objects in a mass hanging on strings experiment?

The motion of objects in a mass hanging on strings experiment is primarily affected by the mass of the objects and the length of the strings. Other factors that may influence the motion include air resistance, the angle of release, and the amplitude of the swing.

4. How can the results of a mass hanging on strings experiment be analyzed?

The results of a mass hanging on strings experiment can be analyzed by measuring the period (time for one complete swing) of each object, as well as the amplitude (distance from the center of motion to the highest point of the swing). This data can then be used to calculate the frequency, velocity, and acceleration of each object.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding mass hanging on strings?

Understanding the principles of mass hanging on strings can be useful in various fields, such as engineering and physics. It can help in designing structures that can withstand forces of gravity and in predicting the motion of objects in different scenarios. It can also aid in understanding the concept of harmonic motion, which has applications in fields such as music and electronics.