1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass hanging on strings

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A weight is supported by 2 stings 1.3m and 2m long fastened to two points on a horizontal beam 2m apart. What is the depth of the weight below the beam?

My question is- what does it mean by the "depth" of the beam?
    2. Relevant equations
    i'm new to the topic.

3. The attempt at a solution
    the diagram which i made:
    IMG_0102.JPG
    please help in finding a solution. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As I understand the problem, the weight is not a beam as you have drawn it but is, instead, small enough to be considered to be a point. The strings hang at angles to support it.

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    I don't think your picture is right. Re-read the problem and try again.

Also, you should write down the equilibrium conditions as the relevant equations.

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4
    In which context did you get this homework or which cours are you attending? Because to me it seems, that you only have to calculate the distance of the weight from the beam - maybe for the center of the mass (which you have already found, but the force (vector) - if the drawn arrow should indicate this - points in the wrong direction).

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    The new diagram should be like this then:
    IMG_0103.JPG

7. Sep 18, 2015 #6
    no no! that arrow i have just drawn to label, it's not the direction of the vector.

8. Sep 18, 2015 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted