Mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency

Your name]In summary, to find the mass of a vibrating steel cantilever, we can use the formula w = sqrt(k/m) where w is the natural frequency of vibration, k is the stiffness of the cantilever, and m is the mass of the cantilever. To find the stiffness, we can use the formula for end deflection and the formula for area moment of inertia. Once we have the stiffness, we can solve for the mass using the w = sqrt(k/m) equation.
Link

Homework Statement

Find mass of vibrating steel cantilever. It is fixed at one end and got a mass on the other (free) end. Find the mass required when it is vibrating at w(natural) = 1800 rev/min.

Lenght: 50mm
width: 7mm
Thickness: 1mm

Homework Equations

w = sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

w is known, need to find k to plug into equation to solve for m.

k is not given but from formula booklet the end deflection for a cantilever with force applied at free end is: wL*L /2EI

Can I assume the end deflection will act as the stiffness k?
In this case the width and the Lenght and youngs modulus E is known, but how do I find I?
If it is known, k can be found and hence m.

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the mass of the vibrating steel cantilever, we need to use the equation w = sqrt(k/m), where w is the natural frequency of vibration, k is the stiffness of the cantilever, and m is the mass of the cantilever.

Since the cantilever is fixed at one end, we can use the formula for end deflection, wL*L/2EI, where w is the force applied at the free end, L is the length of the cantilever, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and I is the area moment of inertia.

To find I, we can use the formula I = (b*h^3)/12, where b is the width of the cantilever and h is the thickness. Plugging in the given values of b = 7mm and h = 1mm, we get I = 0.0000417 m^4.

Now, we can plug in all the known values into the end deflection formula to solve for k. Once we have k, we can use the equation w = sqrt(k/m) to solve for m.

Hope this helps. Happy calculating!

What is the definition of "Mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency"?

The mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency refers to the amount of mass that is attached to a cantilever beam and vibrates at its natural frequency, which is the frequency at which the cantilever will naturally vibrate without any external force.

How is the mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency calculated?

The mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency is calculated by using the equation: m = (k/w)2, where m is the mass, k is the stiffness of the cantilever, and w is the natural frequency.

What factors affect the mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency?

The mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency is affected by the stiffness of the cantilever, the length and material of the cantilever beam, and the environment in which it is vibrating.

Why is it important to know the mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency?

Knowing the mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency is important for designing and constructing cantilever structures that can withstand the natural vibrations without experiencing any damage or failure.

How can the mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency be measured?

The mass of cantilever vibrating at natural frequency can be measured using various techniques such as dynamic mechanical analysis, modal analysis, or by using specialized sensors that can detect the natural frequency of the cantilever beam.