What is the mass of ceramic on the wire with non-uniform coating?

In summary, the machine that applied the ceramic coating did not do so uniformly, and the density of the coating was found to be grams/centimetre.
defaultusername

Homework Statement

A metal wire is given a ceramic coating to protect it against heat. The machine that applies the coating
does not do so very uniformly.

The wire is in the shape of the curve
curve.PNG

The density of the ceramic on the wire is
two.PNG

Use a line integral to calculate the mass of the ceramic on the wire.

Homework Equations

∫ f(r,t,ρ) drdtdρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my 'attempt at a solution':
I tried to make a triple integral, but I don't quite know what to do next.
0π0π0π

Physics news on Phys.org
defaultusername said:

Homework Statement

A metal wire is given a ceramic coating to protect it against heat. The machine that applies the coating
does not do so very uniformly.

The wire is in the shape of the curve
View attachment 103255

The density of the ceramic on the wire is
View attachment 103256

Use a line integral to calculate the mass of the ceramic on the wire.

Homework Equations

∫ f(r,t,ρ) drdtdρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my 'attempt at a solution':
I tried to make a triple integral, but I don't quite know what to do next.

Why? A triple integral won't help you solve this problem.

First, think about how you would find the length of the metal wire (without the ceramic coating). How would you express that length as a line integral?

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/VectorArcLength.aspx

Once you figure out what a small element of the length of the wire is, then apply the density function of the ceramic coating. How would you calculate the total mass of the ceramic?

SteamKing said:
A triple integral won't help you
... because you are not given a diameter for the wire nor the thickness of the coating, so you have no idea what the volume is.
I would take it that the given density is grams/centimetre, not grams/ cubic metre, and that the curve has units of centimetres.

By the way, you can simplify it by a simple substitution for t.

Ok, so I tried to do it in a CAS. Here is what I got...not sure how right it is though.
x = 3 + 2 (Cos[t]^2)
y = 4 - 2 (Sin[t] Cos[t])
z = 2 t
\[Rho] = (x*y)/96
Dx = D[x, t]
Dy = D[y, t]
Dz = D[z, t]
Integrate[\[Rho]*Sqrt[Dx^2 + Dy^2 + Dz^2], {t, 0, \[Pi]}]

=
(Sqrt[2] \[Pi])/3

1. What is the mass of a ceramic on a wire?

The mass of a ceramic on a wire can vary depending on the size and thickness of the ceramic, as well as the type of wire used. It is typically measured in grams or kilograms.

2. How do you calculate the mass of a ceramic on a wire?

The mass of a ceramic on a wire can be calculated by weighing the ceramic and wire separately, and then adding their masses together. Alternatively, if the density of the ceramic and the length of the wire are known, their product can be used to calculate the mass.

3. Why is the mass of a ceramic on a wire important?

The mass of a ceramic on a wire is important for various reasons, such as determining its stability and balance, as well as its suitability for certain applications. It can also affect the performance and functionality of the wire and ceramic in certain situations.

4. Can the mass of a ceramic on a wire change over time?

Yes, the mass of a ceramic on a wire can change over time due to factors such as corrosion, wear and tear, and environmental conditions. Regular maintenance and proper handling can help minimize these changes.

5. How does the mass of a ceramic on a wire affect its strength?

The mass of a ceramic on a wire can affect its strength in various ways. A heavier ceramic may put more strain on the wire, potentially causing it to break or deform. On the other hand, a heavier wire may be able to support a heavier ceramic without compromising its strength. Other factors such as the material and thickness of the wire also play a role in determining its strength.