How Much CO Remains at Equilibrium in a 3L Flask?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium constant and how it is used to determine the mass of CO at equilibrium in a reaction. The student used ice tables and the equilibrium constant equation to solve for x, which resulted in an answer of 55g. However, the answer on the worksheet was 13.0g. The conversation concludes with the expert agreeing with the student's answer and stating that the answer on the worksheet is likely incorrect.
Coco12

Homework Statement

H2+CO2=CO+H2O
if 1.50 mol of each chemical species are placed in a 3.00l flask and allowed to achieve the equilibrium above, what mass of Co will be present at equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Keq= concentration of products each raised to the number of moles in equation/ concentration of reactants raised to the number of mols

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the ice tables and substituted the variables then used the equilibrium constant equation to determine x

My answer came out to be 55 g but the answer on the worksheet said 13.0 g. I think the answer on the worksheet is wrong, because I double checked my answer and still didn't get it? Just wondering for a 2nd opinion from someone

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh. What is the value of the constant?

Borek said:
Sigh. What is the value of the constant?

The value of the constant is 3.59

Coco12 said:
The value of the constant is 3.59
Your answer seems right. With that equilibrium constant, you would expect to end up with more than 1.5 moles of CO, rather than less.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Your answer seems right. With that equilibrium constant, you would expect to end up with more than 1.5 moles of CO, rather than less.

Chet

Ok thanks, I think the answer on the sheet is wrong

1. What is the equilibrium constant problem?

The equilibrium constant problem refers to the difficulty in determining the exact value of the equilibrium constant for a chemical reaction. The equilibrium constant is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium, and it is affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration.

2. Why is the equilibrium constant important?

The equilibrium constant is important because it provides information about the direction and extent of a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It also allows scientists to predict the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of a system.

3. How is the equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to reactants at equilibrium. This ratio is raised to the power of their respective stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. The resulting value is then multiplied by a constant, depending on the units used for the concentrations.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. In addition, the presence of a catalyst, changes in volume or pressure, and changes in the nature of the reactants or products can also alter the equilibrium constant.

5. How can the equilibrium constant problem be solved?

The equilibrium constant problem can be solved through various methods, including the use of equilibrium tables, the ICE (initial, change, equilibrium) method, and solving quadratic equations. Additionally, computer programs and mathematical models can also be used to solve complex equilibrium problems.