What is the mass of Jupiter's white oval storms compared to Earth?

In summary, the Great Red Spot on Jupiter is much larger than the white ovals, with several Earths being able to fit inside it. However, the white ovals, with a diameter of about 7280 km, would be too large to fit an Earth inside. The third dimension of jovian storms is unknown, as well as the height at which they extend through Jupiter's atmosphere. The mass of these storms is likely much less than a rocky planet like Earth, as Jupiter is a gas giant and its storms are composed of gases. The Great Red Spot has been shrinking in recent years.
Iustitia
I know the Great Red Spot on Jupiter is much larger than the white ovals. However I'm curious as to how much mass the white oval storms would have compared to say the Earth. I know they're ovals and from what I've seen they're about 9,000 km long and 5,000 km wide which if I paid attention means it should have a diameter of about 7280 km.

I know several Earths could fit in the Red Spot, but since Earth has a diameter of 12,742 km it's be too large to fit in the white storms. But I don't know the third dimension of jovial storms. How high do storms extend through the atmosphere of Jupiter?

Also, what would the mass of these storms be? Is it safe to say they'd have much less mass than a rocky planet like Earth as Jupiter is a gas giant and its storms are composed and gases?

Thanks. I know this is an odd topic.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This article on the atmosphere of Jupiter discusses its structure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter

IDK how you would calculate the mass of a storm on earth, let alone one on a planet some hundreds of millions of miles from earth.

In any event, in recent years, the Great Red Spot has been shrinking. :sorry:

1. How much does a typical storm on Jupiter weigh?

A typical storm on Jupiter can weigh anywhere from hundreds to thousands of Earth masses. The Great Red Spot, one of the most well-known storms on Jupiter, has been estimated to weigh around 3 Earth masses.

2. How do scientists measure the mass of a storm on Jupiter?

Scientists can measure the mass of a storm on Jupiter by using data from spacecraft flybys, ground-based telescopes, and numerical simulations. They can also use the gravitational pull of the storm to estimate its mass.

3. Do the storms on Jupiter affect the planet's overall mass?

Yes, the storms on Jupiter do have a small effect on the planet's overall mass. However, this effect is very small compared to the massive size of Jupiter, and it would take a significant number of storms to significantly change its mass.

4. Are the storms on Jupiter constantly changing in mass?

Yes, the storms on Jupiter are constantly changing in mass. They can merge with other storms, dissipate, or grow in size. The changing composition of the storm's gases also affects its mass.

5. How do the storms on Jupiter compare in mass to those on Earth?

The storms on Jupiter are much larger and more massive than those on Earth. The Great Red Spot, for example, is larger than the entire Earth and can weigh up to 3 Earth masses. Additionally, the storms on Jupiter can last for hundreds of years, while storms on Earth typically only last for a few days or weeks.