Mass on a Spring Homework: Max Speed, Energy, Acceleration

In summary: A is not the maximum displacement. You know A = .3 m and the amplitude is the maximum displacement.The KE at the maximum displacement is zero and the PE is at a maximum. The KE is zero because the velocity is zero at the turning points. The potential energy at the maximum displacement is (1/2)kA2 = (1/2)(100)(.3)2 = 4.5 J.The kinetic energy at the point where the speed is half the maximum is (1/2)mv2 = (1/2)(.4)(4.74/2)2 = 0.56 J. The PE at this same point is also (1/2)kA2 = (1
ddsMom

Homework Statement

A mass of .4 kg is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 100 N/m, slides on a frictionless horizontal surface in simple harmonic motion, Its maximum displacement is .3m?

What is the maximum speed of the mass?

What is the energy stored in gthe mass/spring system when its speed is half the maximum value?

What is acceleration of t he mass when its speed is half the maximum value?

Homework Equations

m=.4kg
k=100N/m
A(max displacement)=.3m

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the maximum speed of the mass?

Vmax=ωA=√k/m(A)=√100/.4 (.3)=4.74m/s CORRECT?

What is the energy stored in gthe mass/spring system when its speed is half the maximum value?

PE=KE
1/2k(A)2 = 1/2m(v)2 so...
1/2(100)(.3)2 = 1/2(.4)(4.74)
4.50 = 4.50

so...1/2(.4)(4.74/2)2 = 1.12J IS THIS CORRECT?

What is acceleration of t he mass when its speed is half the maximum value?

amax=A(ω)2, but where would I use the speed half max value?

I would really like to learn this. It's been 20+ years since I have taken a Physics course.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ω = 15.8 rad/s , so ωA = 4.745 m/s ; correct.

the PE = KE statement is true for PE average = KE average
(and for PE max = KE max , which formulas you used)
But at any instant (read "stored WHEN its speed ..."), PE + KE = E total.
... when v = ½ v_max , KE = ¼ KE_max . so how much PE is there?

Likes 1 person
Hi Mom, and welcome to PF. Creative use of the provided template!
(Values for m, k and a are more like "given/known data" than equations)
Just so we're talking about the same problem: The other end of the spring is a fixed point.

"Vmax=ωA=√k/m(A)=√100/.4 (.3)=4.74m/s CORRECT?"
Don't think so. But with a few brackets in the right place and in lower case (all caps is considered shouting in PF and they frown on that...): yes.

We go on with energy stored: no friction means no energy loss. So energy constant. In my humble perception, "energy stored in the mass/spring system" is potential energy from the spring plus kinetic energy from the mass. A constant, also when v=vmax/2.
Value follows from some relevant equation (to be listed under 2...) involving k and xmax.

Story would be different if we were looking at PE only at the point where v=vmax/2. That is not the point where PE=KE for the simple reason that (vmax/2)2= (vmax)2/4 (and not /2).

amax=A(ω)2, but where would I use the speed half max value?
equation is correct, but this time they don't wan amax but the magnitude of a at some specific point in the cycle. List an expression for displacement as a function of Amax, ω and time (under 2. of course...), differentiate once to get the speed and once again to get the acceleration. Find out where in the cycle you are (follows from one of the givens) and substitution gives you a.

Bedtime for me, but someone else will help you further along.
By the way: 20 years isn't that much (I can tell) and from what I see I don't think you'll take long to catch up. Brava! and good luck!

Likes 1 person
So then would I find E Total first

= 1/2k(A)2 + 1/2 m(v)2
=1/2(100)(.3)2 + 1/2(.4)(4.74)2
E total = 8.99

then subtract value of 1/4m(v)2?

Total energy E is constant given by (1/2)kA2 ,where A is the amplitude.

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum speed of a mass on a spring?

The formula for calculating the maximum speed of a mass on a spring is given by v = √(k/m)A, where v is the maximum speed, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

2. How is the energy of a mass on a spring related to its amplitude?

The potential energy of a mass on a spring is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude, given by E = 1/2kA2. This means that as the amplitude increases, the potential energy also increases.

3. Can the acceleration of a mass on a spring be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a mass on a spring can be both positive and negative. When the mass is moving towards the equilibrium point, the acceleration is negative, and when the mass is moving away from the equilibrium point, the acceleration is positive.

4. How is the maximum speed of a mass on a spring affected by the mass and the spring constant?

The maximum speed of a mass on a spring is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass and directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the mass increases, the maximum speed decreases, and as the spring constant increases, the maximum speed also increases.

5. What happens to the energy of a mass on a spring when the amplitude is decreased?

As the amplitude of a mass on a spring decreases, the potential energy also decreases. This means that the kinetic energy increases, resulting in a higher maximum speed. However, the total energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) remains constant.