Coefficient of Static Friction Mass on Turntable

In summary: If you write that down first, you will not forget to do it.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of mass 3.5kg on a rough horizontal turntable, at a distance of 1.2m from the axis of rotation. The block begins to slide when the turntable is rotating at 20.0 rev/min. The equations used include Fg = -mg, Fn = mg, Ff = Fn(mu), and radial acceleration (aR) = v^2/r. The solution involves setting the centripetal force equal to the friction force, and after solving for μ, the coefficient of static friction is determined to be 0.54. The expert also offers a tip
WahooMan

Homework Statement

A block of mass 3.5kg rests on a rough horizontal turntable at a distance of 1.2m from the axis of rotation. If the block begins to slide when the turntable is rotating at 20.0 rev/min, what is the coefficient of static friction between the block and the turntable?

Homework Equations

Fg = -mg
Fn = mg
Ff = Fn(mu)
radial acceleration (aR) = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg = -mg = -9.80(3.5) = -34.3N
Fn = mg = 34.3N

c = 2pi(r) = 2pi(1.2) = 7.54m
v = 7.54m*20 = 150.8m/60s = 2.51m/s

aR = 2.51^2/1.2 = 5.26m/s^2

Now I think I am supposed to use sum of the forces = ma, but I'm not sure if there is a force acting on the mass pushing it to the outside of the turntable (I'm pretty sure there is, but I don't know how to calculate it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your aR - good work navigating through all that!
I want to give you a huge tip, if you will bear with me. The trick is to write the big picture and work with it a bit before you put in the numbers. In this case, you want the centripetal force to just equal the friction force. Any faster, and it slips. So you just write
Fc = Ff as your starting point. This is the big picture.
mv^2/r = μmg filling in some details.
Cancel the m's, solve for μ and you are ready to put in the numbers. Use the number you already calculated for v.

mv^2/r = mu(mg)
m's cancel
v^2/r = mu(g)
2.51^2/1.2 = mu(9.80)
5.26 = mu(9.80)
mu = 0.54

Thank you so much for helping me

A pleasure, WahooMan. Remember that trick. There are so many problems where you start with two forces equal.

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to move an object at rest along a surface. It is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined through experiments, typically using a device called a friction tester. The tester measures the force required to move an object at rest along a surface, and the coefficient of static friction is then calculated based on this force and the weight of the object.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of surface materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied to the object. Additionally, the coefficient of static friction can vary depending on whether the surfaces are dry or lubricated.

Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important in many practical applications, such as determining the amount of force needed to move an object, designing machinery and equipment, and ensuring safety in various situations. It is also an important factor in understanding the behavior of objects on different surfaces.

How does the coefficient of static friction relate to the mass of an object on a turntable?

The coefficient of static friction is directly related to the mass of an object on a turntable. As the mass increases, so does the force required to move the object along the turntable. This is because the weight of the object increases, which in turn increases the normal force between the object and the turntable, resulting in a higher coefficient of static friction.