Mass on Incline Homework: Solve Tension in Rope

In summary: It seems impossible for me because every time I try to setup a systems of equations, I end up with 0 = 0, which doesn't really help me. I've tried dozens of approaches, this one seems to be the closest because it factors in the tension in the Y direction into the normal force, which incorporates into the frictional force, but I can't figure it out.A solution would be greatly appreciated.Yep, and determined that the only two forces acting UP the incline is friction and tension force(the parallel X component), and also that there is a Y component of tension perpendicular to the slope that would increase the normal force, which would increase the friction, which would reduce the tension. It's just a
rpg711

Homework Statement

A block with mass m1 = 9.2 kg is on an incline with an angle θ = 25.0° with respect to the horizontal. For the first question there is no friction between the incline and the block.

The coefficient of static friction was deterimined to be μ = .121

The premise of this question is that there was a spring holding the box up(the spring only exerting force in the X direction), but this spring was replaced by a STRING that is parallel to the horizontal, thus making a 25° angle with the incline.

Word for word, it is:
The spring is replaced with a massless rope that pulls horizontally to prevent the block from moving. What is the tension in the rope?

Homework Equations

Fgx = mgsin(theta)
Fgy = mgcos(theta)

Fty = Ftsin(theta)
Ftx = Ftcos(theta)

Ff = μN

N = mg + Fty

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been frustrating me a lot, I've probably been stuck for hours on this one part on my already done homework... I just want to know how it's done because I'm definitely not going to be able to get credit at this point...

I've figured that Ff = 9.886 + μ(Fty) and so the force of friction is dependent on the tension force in the Y direction. Also, the tension force is dependent on the force of friction because Ftx = Fgx - Ff. It seems impossible for me because every time I try to setup a systems of equations, I end up with 0 = 0, which doesn't really help me. I've tried dozens of approaches, this one seems to be the closest because it factors in the tension in the Y direction into the normal force, which incorporates into the frictional force, but I can't figure it out.

A solution would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to draw free body diagrams of the block in both scenarios? A general diagram of the whole setup will assist you for this purpose (and in general).

Sourabh N said:
Have you tried to draw free body diagrams of the block in both scenarios? A general diagram of the whole setup will assist you for this purpose (and in general).

Yep, and determined that the only two forces acting UP the incline is friction and tension force(the parallel X component), and also that there is a Y component of tension perpendicular to the slope that would increase the normal force, which would increase the friction, which would reduce the tension. It's just a confusing loop and I can't seem to setup the system of equations(which I presume is the only way this can be solved)

BTW I corrected myself, it's coefficient of static friction, not kinetic.

I am not sure if I am picturing this correctly, so I drew how I understand the situation. Correct me if that is wrong.

If not, then there is no component of tension force perpendicular to the incline, at the box. Notice that I have drawn all the forces on the box.

Nope, the string is connected in such a way that it is parallel to the HORIZONTAL, so it makes an angle of 25 degrees with the incline.

So there is a component parallel to the incline(Tcos(25)) and a component perpendicular to the incline that has to be factored into Friction/Normal force calculation (Tsin(25))

A clarification: In that picture, the dotted line is the string, so it is parallel to the horizontal.

Can you draw the correct setup?

Here's the correct setup

Attachments

• 2rd9s85.png
    2rd9s85.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,058
Ah, I see. It seems you have solved the problem in your first post. Below I have quoted it indicating the substitutions you need to make (replace darker shade by lighter shade of same color). I do not get a 0 = 0 so I'm guessing you made some algebraic error. Do it again and see if you still get such discrepancy and post it here if you do.

rpg711 said:

Homework Equations

Fgx = mgsin(theta)
Fgy = mgcos(theta)

Fty = Ftsin(theta)
Ftx = Ftcos(theta)

Ff = μN

N = mg + Fty

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured that Ff = 9.886 + μ(Fty) and so the force of friction is dependent on the tension force in the Y direction. Also, the tension force is dependent on the force of friction because Ftx = Fgx - Ff.

1. What is the purpose of solving for tension in a rope?

Solving for tension in a rope is often necessary when studying objects on an incline. It helps us understand the forces acting on the object and how they affect its motion. It also allows us to determine the stability of the object and predict any acceleration or deceleration.

2. How do I find the tension in a rope on an incline?

To find the tension in a rope on an incline, you will need to use the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion. You will also need to consider the angle of the incline and the weight of the object. By setting up and solving the appropriate equations, you can determine the tension in the rope.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope on an incline?

The tension in a rope on an incline is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the weight of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline. These factors can change the forces acting on the object and therefore affect the tension in the rope.

4. Can the tension in a rope on an incline ever be zero?

Yes, the tension in a rope on an incline can be zero if the object is at rest and there is no acceleration or deceleration. In this case, the weight of the object is balanced by the force of friction, and there is no need for a tension force in the rope.

5. How can I check my calculations for tension in a rope on an incline?

It is always important to double-check your calculations for tension in a rope on an incline. You can do this by using the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion to solve for the acceleration of the object. If your calculations are correct, the acceleration should match the actual value of acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Additionally, you can also compare your results to other known values or use a computer simulation to verify your calculations.