1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass spectrometer conceptual question

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's not really a book problem, just a question I encountered in my reading.
    For a mass spectrometer, if r = mv / qb, then r is directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to charge. However, my reading says that the higher the mass, the less deflection. I think I may be confusing deflection with r, then. What is deflection? Why is it different from r? I had formerly thought the amount of deflection referred to r.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes but r proportional to m means less deflection with higher m.
    An infinite mass would have infinite radius, meaning it goes in a straight line and has no deflection. A small mass will be deflected a lot into circular motion with small r.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Yes but if r is directly proportional to m, if m goes up, then r must go up, according to the equation, no? And if q goes down, then r goes up? Am I making a conceptual mistake here?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    Unless r is not deflection, in that case, what is the difference?

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You have MORE deflection when r gets SMALLER.
    Zero deflection is when it keeps going in a straight line with infinite r.
    I guess r could be called the inverse of deflection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook