Mass spectrometer conceptual question

In summary, the question is about the relationship between r, mass, and charge in a mass spectrometer. It is stated that r is directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to charge. However, the reader is confused about the concept of deflection, which they thought was the same as r. It is clarified that deflection is the amount of bending in the trajectory of a particle, while r is the radius of the particle's path. It is also mentioned that a higher mass results in less deflection, and an infinite mass would have zero deflection. The reader is questioning their understanding of the relationship between r, mass, and charge.
clairez93

Homework Statement

It's not really a book problem, just a question I encountered in my reading.
For a mass spectrometer, if r = mv / qb, then r is directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to charge. However, my reading says that the higher the mass, the less deflection. I think I may be confusing deflection with r, then. What is deflection? Why is it different from r? I had formerly thought the amount of deflection referred to r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but r proportional to m means less deflection with higher m.
An infinite mass would have infinite radius, meaning it goes in a straight line and has no deflection. A small mass will be deflected a lot into circular motion with small r.

Yes but if r is directly proportional to m, if m goes up, then r must go up, according to the equation, no? And if q goes down, then r goes up? Am I making a conceptual mistake here?

Unless r is not deflection, in that case, what is the difference?

You have MORE deflection when r gets SMALLER.
Zero deflection is when it keeps going in a straight line with infinite r.
I guess r could be called the inverse of deflection.

1. What is a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass-to-charge ratio of particles in a sample. It works by ionizing the sample and then separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. This allows scientists to identify and quantify the different particles present in a sample.

2. How does a mass spectrometer work?

A mass spectrometer works by first ionizing the sample using a source of energy such as a laser or electron beam. The ions are then accelerated and passed through a series of electric and magnetic fields, which cause them to separate based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The separated ions are then detected and the data is analyzed to determine the composition of the sample.

3. What are the applications of a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, forensics, and environmental science. It is commonly used to identify unknown substances, analyze the composition of a sample, and study the structure and behavior of molecules.

4. What are the different types of mass spectrometers?

There are several types of mass spectrometers, including time-of-flight, quadrupole, magnetic sector, ion trap, and Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance (FT-ICR) spectrometers. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different purposes, but they all function on the same principle of separating ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

5. What are the benefits of using a mass spectrometer?

The main benefit of using a mass spectrometer is its ability to provide precise and accurate measurements of the composition of a sample. It can also detect very small amounts of substances and can be used to study complex molecules. Additionally, mass spectrometers are highly sensitive, fast, and can analyze a wide range of compounds, making them a valuable tool in various scientific fields.