Mass,Spring, Damper vs Capacitor, Indcutor, Resistor vs ? analogy

In summary: When it comes to hydraulics, the concepts of pressure and flow are very similar. Flow is the volume of water that moves through a pipe per unit time and pressure is the force exerted on the water.
MedievalMan
From a mathematic, linear differential equation point of view, and energy storage point of view, the concepts I mentioned in the topics are the same (I remember this being a concept in modeling control systems.)

My question is, what are the same basic elements in other topics: thermal principes (I've heard of thermal resistance, is there thermal inductance?), hydraulics, etc?

-Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
These concepts are analogous because the equation that governs the interaction between the said quantities is exactly the same (namely the wave-equation).

Any additional analogies would have to obey the wave equation and thus have to exhibit some kind of wave-like behaviour, which is why I have my doubts there exists an appropriate thermal analogy. You could get an electromagnetic analogy using permittivity and permeability or an acoustic analogy using density and bulk modulus though.

Claude.

Last edited:
While I am not familiar with the details, I know there are thermal circuit models used in real applications. In particular, the analyzer made by these people: http://www.klippel.de/ uses a circuit model for the thermal behavior of a loudspeaker.

Also, I don't see why these analogies have to obey the wave equation? Circuit models are another way of expressing constant coefficient differential equations, not just wave equations.

Can you define a thermal frequency? Can you define a thermal phase? Can you obtain a thermal resonance? These are the doubts I have as to whether one could obtain a perfect thermal analogy.
Nolen Ryba said:
Also, I don't see why these analogies have to obey the wave equation? Circuit models are another way of expressing constant coefficient differential equations, not just wave equations.
You could feasibly come up with a similar analogy that obeys a higher order differential equation, or even a nonlinear differential equation if one so wishes. The point was that all the parts of the analogy obey the same basic equation (even if all the terms represent completely different things). That's what makes an analogy so.

Claude.

MedievalMan said:
My question is, what are the same basic elements in other topics: thermal principes (I've heard of thermal resistance, is there thermal inductance?),

Although there is a thermal resistance and capacity, there is no thermal inductor.

1. What is the purpose of using analogies between mass, spring, damper and capacitor, inductor, resistor?

The purpose of using these analogies is to help understand and visualize the behavior of complex electrical systems by comparing them to a simpler mechanical system that follows similar principles. This allows for easier analysis and problem-solving.

2. What are the main similarities between the mass, spring, damper analogy and the capacitor, inductor, resistor analogy?

Both analogies involve systems that store energy and have the ability to resist change. In the mass, spring, damper analogy, the mass represents the energy storage, the spring represents the resistance to change, and the damper represents the energy dissipation. Similarly, in the capacitor, inductor, resistor analogy, the capacitor and inductor represent energy storage, while the resistor represents energy dissipation.

3. How does the behavior of a mass-spring-damper system differ from that of a capacitor-inductor-resistor system?

The main difference between these two systems is that in a mass-spring-damper system, the energy is primarily stored in the form of mechanical potential energy, while in a capacitor-inductor-resistor system, the energy is stored in the form of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, the dynamics of these systems are different - in the mass-spring-damper system, the motion is continuous and can be described by equations of motion, while in the capacitor-inductor-resistor system, the behavior is described by differential equations.

4. How are these analogies used in practical applications?

These analogies are used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and mechanical engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and even biological systems. They also serve as a basis for understanding more advanced concepts, such as resonance, damping, and energy transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to these analogies?

While these analogies can be very helpful in understanding and analyzing systems, they do have limitations. For example, they are based on simplified models and do not take into account all the complexities of real-world systems. Additionally, these analogies may not hold true for all types of systems and can sometimes lead to incorrect conclusions if used inappropriately.