Mass-Spring Oscillation question

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to find the oscillation frequency of a two-block system hanging from a vertical spring. The first attempt involved using the formula T=2pi times sqaure root[m/k] and finding the spring constant in terms of m, y, & g, but the calculation was incorrect. The mistake was identified and the correct solution was provided, resulting in an oscillation frequency of 2.5 Hz.
Mozart
I tried to work out this problem a few different ways but I never get the right answer.

A block hangs in equilibrium from a vertical spring. When a second identical block is added, the original block sags by 8.00 cm

What is the oscillation frequency of the two-block system?

What I've done so far:

Attempt 1:

(Fnet)y=-ky
2mg=-ky
m=((-ky)/(2g))

Then using T=2pi times sqaure root[m/k]

puting in my m as what I found in terms of k, y, and g. The K's cancel and I am left with things I know and then calculate to find my T it turns out to be 0.40 seconds

and then I finish off my problem with freqency= 1/period and get 2.5 Hz

But this is incorrect.

I probably made a wrong assumption but I can't put my finger on it. I hope someone can put me on the right track.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mozart said:
What I've done so far:

Attempt 1:

(Fnet)y=-ky
2mg=-ky
m=((-ky)/(2g))
What you want to do is find the spring constant in terms of m, y, & g. Assuming that y is the additional displacement from equilibrium, then:
mg = ky (since one block is added)

Then using T=2pi times sqaure root[m/k]
What mass goes here? (The system has two blocks now.)

Thank you! That worked perfectly. I understand where I made my mistake now too.

Related to Mass-Spring Oscillation question

1. What is a mass-spring oscillation?

A mass-spring oscillation is a type of periodic motion that occurs when a mass attached to a spring is displaced from its equilibrium position and then released, causing it to oscillate back and forth at a constant frequency.

2. What factors affect the frequency of a mass-spring oscillation?

The frequency of a mass-spring oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. In general, a larger mass or stiffer spring will result in a lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency.

3. How does the period of a mass-spring oscillation change with different masses?

The period of a mass-spring oscillation is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the period will also increase, resulting in longer oscillation times.

4. What is the equation for calculating the frequency of a mass-spring oscillation?

The equation for the frequency of a mass-spring oscillation is f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

5. How does damping affect a mass-spring oscillation?

Damping is the process by which energy is dissipated in a mass-spring oscillation, causing the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease over time. The amount of damping can affect the frequency and amplitude of the oscillation, and can also result in changes to the period of the oscillation.