Calculating Average Oxygen Flux in Wetted-Wall Column

In summary, the main resistance to oxygen mass transfer is going to reside on the gas side of the interface.
salih129
Dear all,

I am currently doing a lab question. I do not know how to solve a calculation question.

Question: Calculate the average flux of the oxygen through the gas-liquid interface in the wetted-wall column. Remember that a more accurate value of the average flux can be calculated by taking the the liquid film thickness into account.

BAckground: In this experiment, we have to take note of dissolved oxygen concentration at the inlet and outlet of a wetted column for changing air and water flow rates. Air will flow in from the bottom while de-oxygenated water will flow down from the top. Oxygen will diffuse into the water.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
salih129 said:
Dear all,

I am currently doing a lab question. I do not know how to solve a calculation question.

Question: Calculate the average flux of the oxygen through the gas-liquid interface in the wetted-wall column. Remember that a more accurate value of the average flux can be calculated by taking the the liquid film thickness into account.

BAckground: In this experiment, we have to take note of dissolved oxygen concentration at the inlet and outlet of a wetted column for changing air and water flow rates. Air will flow in from the bottom while de-oxygenated water will flow down from the top. Oxygen will diffuse into the water.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Hi Salih129. Welcome to Physics Forums!
Where do you think the main resistance to oxygen mass transfer is going to reside (a) on the gas side of the interface or (b) on the liquid side of the interface?

Assume you have water moving down the wall with a laminar parabolic velocity profile, as determined by solving the hydrodynamic flow equation. How thick is the layer of water on the wall in your application? What is the downward velocity of the water at the interface, and how long is the column? How long does it take for the water at the interface travel down the length of the column?

Chet

What is mass transfer in a wetted column?

Mass transfer in a wetted column is the process of transferring a substance from one phase to another phase, typically from a liquid phase to a gas phase. In a wetted column, the substance is transferred by contacting it with a gas stream, which allows for mass transfer to occur.

What is the purpose of a wetted column in mass transfer?

The purpose of a wetted column in mass transfer is to increase the surface area between the liquid and gas phases, which promotes efficient mass transfer. The wetted column also allows for better mixing and contact between the two phases, leading to higher rates of mass transfer.

How is the mass transfer rate determined in a wetted column?

The mass transfer rate in a wetted column is determined by factors such as the composition and properties of the liquid and gas phases, the contact area between the two phases, and the flow rate of the gas phase. It can also be affected by the design and operating conditions of the wetted column.

What are the main types of wetted columns used in mass transfer?

The main types of wetted columns used in mass transfer are packed columns and plate columns. Packed columns consist of a bed of solid materials, such as random packing or structured packing, while plate columns have horizontal plates that allow for more contact between the two phases.

What are some applications of mass transfer in wetted columns?

Mass transfer in wetted columns is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as distillation, absorption, and stripping. It is also used in environmental applications, such as air pollution control and wastewater treatment. Additionally, wetted columns are used in the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food products.