Calculating Oxygen Gas Released from Heating Calcium Chlorate

In summary, by using the molar mass of calcium chlorate and the mole ratio of oxygen gas to calcium chlorate, we can calculate that heating 5.00 grams of calcium chlorate will release approximately 1617 millilitres of oxygen gas.
Mackydoodle

Homework Statement

How many millilitres of oxygen gas are released from heating 5.00 grams of calcium chlorate?

Homework Equations

Ca(ClO3)2→CaCl2+3O2

Ca(ClO3)2 =207.7g
CaCl2=110.98g
O2=22.4 g/L
Mole ratio= 3mol O2/1mol Ca(Clo3)2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have but it is not coming out right and I just can't figure out where I am going wrong. I am having trouble with these kinds of problems.

(207.7 g/ 1 mol Ca(Clo3)2) X (1mol Ca(Clo3)2/3 mol O2) X (22.4 L O2/ 1 mol O2)= 1550.8
(this can't be right the answer is supposed to be 1620)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moles of Calcium Chlorate (Given Mass / Molar Mass)* Moles of dioxygen per mole of Calcium Chlorate (3) * Volume of 1 mole dioxygen (22.4 L / mol).

The answer is approximately 1617. (1620 if you approximately calculate it manually)

I now see where I went wrong! thank you :)

What is mass-volume stoichiometry?

Mass-volume stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationship between the masses and volumes of substances involved in a chemical reaction. It is based on the principles of stoichiometry, which is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

How is mass-volume stoichiometry used in chemistry?

Mass-volume stoichiometry is used to determine the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. This information is important for predicting the yield of a reaction, determining the limiting reactant, and calculating the amount of product that can be obtained from a given amount of reactant.

What are the key components of mass-volume stoichiometry?

The key components of mass-volume stoichiometry include the balanced chemical equation, the molar mass of each substance involved, and the volume of each substance used in the reaction. These components are used to calculate the number of moles of each substance and to determine the relationship between them.

What is the difference between mass-volume stoichiometry and mole-mole stoichiometry?

Mass-volume stoichiometry deals with the relationship between the masses and volumes of substances involved in a chemical reaction, while mole-mole stoichiometry deals with the relationship between the number of moles of each substance involved. Mass-volume stoichiometry is used when the substances involved have different molar masses, while mole-mole stoichiometry is used when the substances have the same molar mass.

What are some practical applications of mass-volume stoichiometry?

Mass-volume stoichiometry is used in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing, to determine the optimal amounts of reactants needed to produce a desired amount of product. It is also used in environmental analysis to determine the concentrations of pollutants in air, water, and soil.