1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master in Physics vs. Bachelors in Engineering?

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    So, I am basically wondering what I would be better off with in terms of job opportunities and pay scale, a Masters in Physics or a Bachelors in Engineering?

If I could major in both...I would. However, the school I go to (University of Cincinnati) has these mandatory co-op programs for engineering that not only extend the major by another year, but they will make it very difficult for me to maintain my job ( I manage a small retail store), but I am willing to do whatever it takes.

But considering that majoring in Engineering will take me a good 6 years (its a 5 year program plus I had to start out with beginning algebra), I figure I could obtain both a Bachelors AND a Masters in Physics within those 6 years, plus have more time for research, electives, etc.

My long term goal is to earn a PhD in physics. However, I would really like to be able to get a job in the field WHILE going to graduate school for the PhD. Plus, you never know when unexpected life events might determine that continuing with graduate school is not an option! Everywhere I look online suggests that engineers have a much easier time finding jobs, and good paying ones, in comparison to Physics majors. How much would having a Masters in Physics make a difference?

If I go with the Engineering Bachelors, can I jump right into a Physics Masters program afterwards?

I am truly interested in both of these fields. I have to make a decision by next fall, and not knowing what I might or might not regret doing is driving me crazy!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted